Fruit fly larvae on blackberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie_chic

Junior
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’ve just picked a ton of blackberries and found fruit fly larvae on some of the fruit. Our plan was to freeze the fruit, then later thaw and boil with sugar etc to make wine. Is our batch of blackberries still okay with fruit fly larvae or should we chuck it out? Thanks!

Hi everyone, I’ve just picked a ton of blackberries and found fruit fly larvae on some of the fruit. Our plan was to freeze the fruit, then later thaw and boil with sugar etc to make wine. Is our batch of blackberries still okay with fruit fly larvae or should we chuck it out? Thanks!

I would use it. Freezing immediately after picking should kill everything. Dose with potassium metabisulfite at thawing. I would not boil the must, it might lead to a cooked flavor in the wine. I leave my blackberries semi-thawed, maybe 40-50F. Then pour the simmered sugar solution onto the berries. That will slowly bring up the temperature.

Edit:
More thoughts...
Depending on how much junk is in your must you may want to double dose the Kmeta. And definitely make a yeast starter 8-12 hours before pitching the yeast. See @winemaker81 for his method (you can search this site and be able to find it).

Last edited:
freezing kills the larvae. Don't boil the berries. Pour sugar on top of the berries and let them soak for 2 days before adding water. Heat destroys aromas.

Last edited:
I think it’s an osmotic pressure thing. The high sugar content draws liquid out of the blackberries.
I can see how that would be helpful with some fruit, and I might try it. But once blackberries are frozen, thawed, and mashed, they turn to mush. So I think that the liquid is already out.

Back