Grasshoppers on my grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ventisei

Junior
Reaction score
Eeek! We have almost made it to our first harvest of our tiny vineyard of 40 Merlot plants. The average brix is about 19. Yesterday we had rain and heavy wind all day. Today I went out to spray with Neem oil and I noticed about 10-15 split grapes on the ground and 3 huge, green, grasshopper type insects on my vines. They flew away when I swatted at them. Our vines are not netted, although we have nets and can do that. We have not seen birds around the vines. We do have pinwheels and reflective tape throughout the plants. What should I do to save my vines?

Eeek! We have almost made it to our first harvest of our tiny vineyard of 40 Merlot plants. The average brix is about 19. Yesterday we had rain and heavy wind all day. Today I went out to spray with Neem oil and I noticed about 10-15 split grapes on the ground and 3 huge, green, grasshopper type insects on my vines. They flew away when I swatted at them. Our vines are not netted, although we have nets and can do that. We have not seen birds around the vines. We do have pinwheels and reflective tape throughout the plants. What should I do to save my vines?
yum fried grasshopper with brown sugar,
man learn to improvise
Dawg.
drink more think less, lol,

No birds = more insects. It's a trade off.

Chickens love grasshoppers, but they might also munch on grape leaves or grapes that are within their reach. More trade-offs. We are considering setting up a fence to put the chickens in our orchard and berries when the plants are dormant. That way they can eat insects without eating our berries. That might work for grapes as well. It helps to study the life cycle of grasshoppers, and how/where the overwinter. At which stages are they most vulnerable to chickens?

Back