Great Customer Service - Midwest Barrels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VinesnBines

Reaction score
In October 2023, I bought from Midwest Barrels, a 10 gallon used bourbon barrel that last held maple syrup. When it arrived I was able to soak it and it sealed right up. I have now filled it three times. I was so happy, I bought three more bourbon barrels in the Fall of 2023.

This year I was happy to see that Midwest had more of the 10 gallon maple syrup barrels. A couple weeks an ago I noticed the price had dropped to $75 each. I ordered two.

When they arrived, I filled them with water to seal. I thought they were sealed after a couple days so I racked my wines into the barrels. The vacuum pressure must have caused the heads to shift and both barrels were leaking. I was nearly sick and had to rack back to my beer kegs and filled the barrels with kmeta and citric acid holding solution.

Monday I went back on the Midwest site and was horrified to see the same barrels listed as furniture grade with a big warning the they were not suitable for liquids. I shot off an email to complain that the original listing was NOT furniture grade. I got a reply the same day offering me a full refund. I accepted and immediately got a refund of barrel cost and shipping to my credit card.

The company has a 30 day leak proof guarantee so I’m very pleased. I’m not happy that I lost about two bottles of wine for 100 liters but also I was reminded that an offer that seems too good to be true, probably is.

I’m going to order more barrels from Midwest but I’ll really be certain they are watertight before filling with my precious wine.

Back