H2S Treating - Sodium Metabisulfate OK?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave_W

Reaction score
I’ve seen recommendations to add potassium metabisulfite for treating H2S, will sodium metabisulfite also work, or is the potassium important?

I’m guessing it’s really the sulfite that’s needed, but wanted to verify.

The sodium gives a salty flavor and decreases the perceived astringent tannin.
Potassium gives a slightly bitter flavor, can precipitate tartaric acid if you are working with high acid northern grapes and has no effect with non-grape citric and malic acids.

From the generated free SO2 there is no difference.

If caught early, vigorous stirring will drive off the embedded H2S and a double-dose of K-meta (or Na-Meta) may neutralize any remaining. Stir in a well ventilated area as the H2S is noxious.

Typically H2S is formed by stressed yeast, so adding nutrient will stop more from forming. Since having a few bouts with H2S, I pay a LOT more attention to nutrient needs.

Copper sulfate (CuSO4) works well but should be kept below 1 mg Cu per liter (about 2 mg CuSO4 per liter.) for safety reasons.
This is necessary if the H2S is not caught early, and stirring / K-meta doesn't fix it. For my worst case I used Reduless, as the wine was too far gone for the basic method to handle. Reduless instructions state exactly how much to use, and I decided it was safer to use than straight copper sulfate.

I splashed rack 2 times, then just poured carbon to carboy 4 times. Have not added any sulfites yet. I will check the smell tomorrow. It was only a slight odor. SG was already at 1.000 after just 4 days fermenting, starting at 1.090

Back