HELP! Replacement Pawls or Rachet Keys! HELP!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mmurphy2299

Junior
Reaction score
Good Morning!

I'm making wine for the first time in my life today... I bought a press (#40 Marichisio I believe) and just noticed that I did not receive any "Pawls" or "Rachet Keys" with the press... (Also didn't receive the leverage bar). I'm struggling to find a place where I can purchase this replacement part. Especially seeing that I have grapes sitting in my garage ready to be crushed!

Any advice on where I can purchase these and receive them within the week? Or is there anything I can pickup from a hardware store that could act as a replacement?

Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!

I assume that you have tried contacting the party that sold you the press, right?

Are you handy with tools? Do you have a bench grinder or access to one? I am not familiar with the brand that you mentioned but all of the ratchet presses work in a similar manner. The keys are usually a rectangular piece of steel about 1"wide x 3" long x 3/8" thick with one end beveled to about 45 degrees. I have seen presses with 1, 2 and 4 keys. Which do you have?

Good Morning!

I'm making wine for the first time in my life today... I bought a press (#40 Marichisio I believe) and just noticed that I did not receive any "Pawls" or "Rachet Keys" with the press... (Also didn't receive the leverage bar). I'm struggling to find a place where I can purchase this replacement part. Especially seeing that I have grapes sitting in my garage ready to be crushed!

Any advice on where I can purchase these and receive them within the week? Or is there anything I can pickup from a hardware store that could act as a replacement?

Your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED!
I called Morewine (https://morewinemaking.com) (1-800-823-0010) and they can get the parts from Marchisio in Italy but not in time to help you now.

If you're in a pinch go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a piece of 1" wide by 3/16" or 1/4" flat stock. use a hack saw or grinder to cut the angle. Approximately a 45 but it doesn't have to be exact. Also, I think you will find 1/4" is the correct thickness though 3/16" does work. The length doesn't matter that much. FYI, they do seem to be hard to find.

Attachments

• Basket Press Pawl.jpg
    Basket Press Pawl.jpg
    2.2 MB
Thanks for the response and for reaching out to MoreWineMaking! I did call the place that I bought it from and they stated they didn't have the pieces, gave me a partial refund...

The press has 2 keys.

I do know someone who does Steel Fab - with the information you provided I have to assume they'll be able to make something for me that will get me by for this run and I'll reach out to MoreWine to get the official part for next year!

Thanks for the response and for reaching out to MoreWineMaking! I did call the place that I bought it from and they stated they didn't have the pieces, gave me a partial refund...

The press has 2 keys.

I do know someone who does Steel Fab - with the information you provided I have to assume they'll be able to make something for me that will get me by for this run and I'll reach out to MoreWine to get the official part for next year!
If you have someone to make the pawls there will be no need to contact Morewine. They will send you exactly what will be made.

Latest posts

Back