Horse Radish Wine ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Horseradish at .990, if you could get by the smell, it may taste okay. When I give it away, I bet no one comes back for more, -- if they are able to come back. I kinda afraid of this stuff.

Semper Fi

Horseradish at .990, if you could get by the smell, it may taste okay. When I give it away, I bet no one comes back for more, -- if they are able to come back. I kinda afraid of this stuff.

Semper Fi

Bud,
Afraid of this stuff?? Does not sound like a Marine slogan to me. Arne.

Dan, now you have me thinking of making a gallon just for a marinade. Been using some concord that was not the best and it worked great. But ran out of that.

I wouldn't advise anyone to make horseradish wine, I've been in out-houses that smell better.

Semper Fi

Out of curiosity, what is the smell like? Strong fermentation, something rotting or what? Just wondering if maybe whatever makes horseradish strong is reacting wrong withthe alcohol. Arne.

Was kinda thinkin about trying it, but think I'll wait and see how yours comes out. If nuthin else it will have warmed up by then and can ferment out in the shed instead of in the house. Keep us informed, please. Arne.

Hey Bud. Would you please close your doors and windows. I can smell it from here. :s

Arne, it was hard to get started fermenting. Originally it just set there for 2 or 3 days and nothing happened. I then added more yeast (flashmans) and sprinkled some nutrient and enigizer on top of it and stired that in good, the next day it took off, had about an half inch head on it.

Semper Fi

Just a thought...

Maybe some AGING with a little horseradish... or....

Just add prepared horseradish to your cooking... and add white wine separately...

Remember the rule:

Just because you CAN ferment it, doesn't mean you SHOULD!!

Debbie

I dug my horse radish Saturday and thought I'd try to may some wine out it.
I'm trying for a half gallon, ground it up real fine (about a double hand full) and added 1/2 gallon of water. Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast, a little Tannin, yeast nutrient, yeast enigizer, 1/2 campden tablet, and doubled the pectic enzyme. Added sugar to get SpGr to 1.085. Temperature between 75* and 78*. The only change is that the SpGr went to 1.110, I was sure I had the sugar dissolved, but I guess I didn't? Got any ideas on how to start it fermitting? When I added the yeast I dissolved a 1/2 pack of yeast in warm water and waited for it to get about a 1/2 inch head on it before adding.

Has there ever been anyone else crazy enough to try to make horse radish wine??????

Thanks

Semper Fi
I’ve been making ginger wine for quite a while now. I recently added horse radish to the mix and it’s pretty good and has a nice kick to it. It clears the sinus’ and stiffens your pecker!
~800 to 1000 gms fresh ginger
~250 ml jar of extra hot horse radish
~4 kg sugar
23 litre fermenter bucket and car boy

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve been making ginger wine for quite a while now. I recently added horse radish to the mix and it’s pretty good and has a nice kick to it. It clears the sinus’ and stiffens your pecker!
~800 to 1000 gms fresh ginger
~250 ml jar of extra hot horse radish
~4 kg sugar
23 litre fermenter bucket and car boy
You're replying to a 10+ yo post where most of the responders have not been on the forum for years ...

Try starting a new post, as many folks won't reply to an old one.

found this on one of the other forums - got quite a chuckle out of it

"I dug and ground my Horseradish today, but then I had to consider the question as to whether I really had to many last night when I thought this was a good idea. So I pored me a little bit of a dry white and fixed myself a pork-chop sandwich with fresh horseradish. Sat down and watched the gold leaves fall from our Ginko Tree and throughly enjoyed both the wine and the sandwich. Afterwards I pored myself another glass and added a nice big glop of fresh ground horseradish and stuck in the fridge while I did some research online. HorseRadish wine is not unheard of but it is very rare. I found out that if you need an extreme diuretic or if you need to pass a gall stone that horseradish wine might be just the thing while this was interesting I can not say I found it that appealing. Still you never know maybe this could be one of those rare unusual combinations that create a new masterpiece in culinary art. With an open mind and clogged sinuses I cautiously pulled my test subject from the fridge. One sniff and the sinus problem was cleared this creation has a very lasting presence to its aroma. Daring to be brave I skipped the cautious sip and belted it down. Ugg Uggg euk uk uk uk uk euuuukkkkk I can't breath my heart is pounding, my facial muscles are no longer working but are cramped a tight as the toes that are curled in my boots. I hear a pounding in my head which turns into a pounding on my back as my laughing wife tries to initiate normal function to my lungs again.
For fcuks sake this sounds like a war crime not a beverage...... it might be good medicine however.....

For fcuks sake this sounds like a war crime not a beverage...... it might be good medicine however.....
I’ve never made pure horseradish wine, but I have been making ginger wine for several years now. Recently I began adding 250 grams of horseradish to my batch of ginger wine and it’s very good. Don’t knock it until you try it.
~1 kg ginger
~250 grams fresh horseradish
~4kg sugar
Spice it with a tablespoon of cayenne powder, a tablespoons of ginger and a tablespoon of cinnamon if you like.
Use a standard 23 litre bucket and you’ll receive descent table and cooking wine for about 50 cents per litre.
~I freeze the fresh ginger and horseradish for a couple of days to soften them up and break down the fibre. Defrost then mash!
Sweet is good if you cold crash it for your girl friends but if you like it dry, that’s for the men and just ferment it out,
CHEERS😎

Latest posts

Back