How quickly does mold form

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey all, what’s your experience with mold growth on the cap? I am nearing the end of my primary, 1.002 last night, but I think I’ve stalled out due to the cold temperatures (getting to low 40s at night and wine is in uncontrolled garage). I figured once I get the carboys inside to do MLF there may be some residual yeast that can get it across the finish line. Nonetheless, the cap is still floating but I wanted to do a short EM until the weekend. Is the cap drying out over a few days cause for concern?

Hey all, what’s your experience with mold growth on the cap? I am nearing the end of my primary, 1.002 last night, but I think I’ve stalled out due to the cold temperatures (getting to low 40s at night and wine is in uncontrolled garage). I figured once I get the carboys inside to do MLF there may be some residual yeast that can get it across the finish line. Nonetheless, the cap is still floating but I wanted to do a short EM until the weekend. Is the cap drying out over a few days cause for concern?

The wine will continue to generate CO2 as long as it’s still fermenting. And even for a short time after, will continue to hold CO2. Put the wine under airlock ASAP and you should be good for a few weeks.

I routinely add the malolactic bacteria to my reds at SG of 1.020, then put under airlock for a month. The oak chips and skin packs are both in cheesecloth but obviously not able to be punched down.

Back