Hydrogen sulphide - major frustration- what am I doing wrong

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey folks; am facing some H2S issues even with Sensy yeast; which is supposed to be a low sulfide yeast. This is in 10 gallons Sauvignon blanc juice. Didn’t get the chance to get YAN measurements but maybe the juice didn’t have additional nutrients

Is there a risk of adding too much yeast nutrient? Is there a threshold? I have heard that the main thing to worry about is potential for microbial spoilage during aging but I am intending the white will only be for 2 years tops and sulfite can also control this, right?

Thanks in advance for any guidance

Hey folks; am facing some H2S issues even with Sensy yeast; which is supposed to be a low sulfide yeast. This is in 10 gallons Sauvignon blanc juice. Didn’t get the chance to get YAN measurements but maybe the juice didn’t have additional nutrients

Is there a risk of adding too much yeast nutrient? Is there a threshold? I have heard that the main thing to worry about is potential for microbial spoilage during aging but I am intending the white will only be for 2 years tops and sulfite can also control this, right?

Is this from a juice bucket? I would assume the YAN would be close, as the SG and pH are usually pretty good.

Did you ferment in an open bucket, where the yeast has access to lots of oxygen? Yeast can be stressed by not getting enough oxygen.

Folks speak of thresholds for too much nutrient, but I can't recall any hard figures.

I go by package direction on the nutrient, and if a strain has high needs, I add 50% more.

At this point you have H2S, so you need to act immediately. The longer it's present, the worse it gets. Add a dose of K-meta, and stir the heck out of it. Do this in a well ventilated area and run a fan -- the reek gets worse as you stir to release it from the wine.

Following are my notes from a 2020 second run wine, which had bad H2S. I had to go as far as adding Reduless to it. I've had it twice since then, but caught it early enough that K-meta and stirring addressed it. Since then I'm paranoid about H2S and ensure I have sufficient nutrient added.

https://wine.bkfazekas.com/2020-red-blend-second-run/

EDIT: the original post had too low a dose of K-meta. No idea what I was thinking, but it's fixed now.

Last edited:
Is this from a juice bucket? I would assume the YAN would be close, as the SG and pH are usually pretty good.

Did you ferment in an open bucket, where the yeast has access to lots of oxygen? Yeast can be stressed by not getting enough oxygen.
Was a juice bucket and with open top. i dunked a wort chiller in there with my ghetto glycol chiller made from a hacked up air conditioner and put the lid over. Added goferm protect at the start per recommended dosage and full dose of Fermaid-O at pitching of yeast; added Fermaid K at like 18 brix; and using sensy yeast, which is supposed to be low H2S; it kept fermenting and a few days later I added more DAP after i detected the smell; fermentation is finished (~-1 brix) and I Splash racked this morning to new vessels, and ordered Reduless for overnight delivery.

I had taken a gallon from each of the two 6 gal juice buckets in a 3 gal carboy to get headspace for AF, and that carboy with almost the same nutrient regimen has not produced the smells. that one was at a higher temperature because i was swapping buckets of frozen water bottles in a Tupperware about twice a day to keep it relatively chilled (and after 4 days of this i got busy/lazy and stopped hauling the bucket up the starts to and from the garage freezer). Maybe the temperature was too cold for the sensy yeast? i kept my glycol chiller at around 55F - 57 F; these yeast say their range is 54-64F; but, perhaps immediately adjacent to the coils it could be colder and in the bulk liquid it could be warmer;

I will take the advise on setting up a box fan as soon as i get back tonight and dosae with more kmeta and splash/degass some more.

Will definetly be on the fermaid-K train as i am not sure if the Fermaid-O did enough;

can always go get some frozen SB buckets and try again when i am not also deailng with all the other fermentations simultaneously; but will try and save it. i have copper sulfate on hand; still very cloudy so i may treat also with Bentonite and Sparkelloid to see if floculating the yeast garbage and racking off helps the issue from recurring in bulk aging.

Thanks for the assist; i'll keep the thread posted. Going to read the link to the 2020 batch you sent now!

-Mike

Attachments

• rehydration with Distilled water and goferm and fermaid o.jpg
    rehydration with Distilled water and goferm and fermaid o.jpg
    1.9 MB
  • chiller setup.PNG
    chiller setup.PNG
    850.4 KB

For the future.....Adding too much nutrient? IMO, yes. I have no idea what the threshold is. I do know this: Adding too much Fermaid will give a mineral taste. Adding too much standard yeast nutrient (containing Urea) runs the risk of potential really bad nasties in the wine. Too much DAP (alone) will almost likely cause too much cell activity and heat. Too much DAP produces some bad tasting wine. Adding nutrients at the wrong time, as in late in the fermentation, runs the chance for spoilage.

Measuring YAN and using a reliable calculator to supplement nutrients is absolutely the best. If that is not possible (like for me) is use the FermCalc YAN calculator app and enter the starting YAN at 150. The calculator takes care of the yeast demand.

Right or wrong, I've made some pretty darn good wines following the FermCalc app method.

I hope this helps going forward.

For the future.....Adding too much nutrient? IMO, yes. I have no idea what the threshold is. I do know this: Adding too much Fermaid will give a mineral taste. Adding too much standard yeast nutrient (containing Urea) runs the risk of potential really bad nasties in the wine. Too much DAP (alone) will almost likely cause too much cell activity and heat. Too much DAP produces some bad tasting wine. Adding nutrients at the wrong time, as in late in the fermentation, runs the chance for spoilage.

Measuring YAN and using a reliable calculator to supplement nutrients is absolutely the best. If that is not possible (like for me) is use the FermCalc YAN calculator app and enter the starting YAN at 150. The calculator takes care of the yeast demand.

Right or wrong, I've made some pretty darn good wines following the FermCalc app method.

I hope this helps going forward.
Thank you for this. I had the FermCalc app on my phone but did not realize there was a YAN calculator in the Miscellaneous tools subsection. I will use this going forward 100%. 😍

It seems the Vinmetrica YAN kit (which i have but ran out of time/energy to use ahead of AF) is mostly a (relatively) simple titration, with a lot of reagent prep. The use of formaldehyde and some of the centrifuging/decanting/filtration as recommended in the method does take some setup in terms of capability; is there a simpler way to conduct YAN measurements? i have seen some stuff about spectrophotometry but I think that may exceed my budget at this moment;

This year I think the biggest stressor I had is once I get all the crushed fruit and such, and get it back to the basement, I feel like I'm on the clock for getting all the lab results before I risk wild fermentation; I measure initial gravity, pH, temperature, Free SO2, TA - and this year I had to press the Chardonnay (in addition to the Tempranillo Rose after a short skin contact) since the white wine dedicated press was not working at the grape supplier for whites. I was perhaps a bit too ambitious and started 6 separate batches on the same weekend (108 lbs Cabernet Sauvignon, 108 lbs Merlot, 180 lbs Tempranillo (part rose for Rosado, part red), 108 lbs chardonnay, and 12 gallons sauvignon blanc juice). It's just me and my wife, but we had my brother and sister in law's help with transporting the fruit, pressing, cleaning, sanitizing, titrating, pH measurements, etc.

While presently I don't have a large enough refrigeration capacity to cold soak everything for a day or two, I do toss sanitized frozen water bottles and jugs into the must buckets to try and stave off spontaneous ferments and get a pseudo cold soak for as long as possible. This can buy a bit of time to do the extra lab work. I have one 21 cubic foot upright garage refrigerator but this will only handle maybe 2 carboys of 5 or 6 gallons each.

How do you all generally manage the #HurryUpAndWait phase of the initial influx of fruit ready all around the same time? I have to find a way to make it less stressful next year; it's far too much. o_O (a mess of my own creation, I fully realize).

How fast generally do the lab results come back for YAN from contract labs like ETS? I would consider sending out the juice to a lab if I could keep the remaining must cold while I wait for results, to delay fermentation initiation; but I'm not sure if my supplier for grapes (Corrados in Clifton NJ) would allow me to store the grapes in the walk in, crush a few, send a sample, wait some days, then pick it up. I suppose I could ask them, and or in the future try and find suppliers who provide the YAN on the fruit ahead of the sale in Northern NJ area (Or Eastern PA, or NY State but transporting the fruit 4-5 hours from the finger lakes in my little Honda fit is also a no - go, lol) but I don't know of any ones local to us.

Do you all have any grape source recommendations who do the must analysis ahead of the current year's harvest? I know of Delta Packing, but the quantities seem to be pretty high for minimum orders. Closest so far I found is Fulkerson's on Seneca Lake in NY (Finger lakes) about 5.5 hours drive https://www.fulkersonwinery.com/juice/. The whites especially Riesling would be good to try once but the reds in this region struggle to reach full morphological ripeness and tend to be thinner; which is not our more preferred style.

Thanks for the assistance and helpful information; I have bookmarked ETS to look for lab analysis; if it saves batches, it's worth the cost.

Thank you for this. I had the FermCalc app on my phone but did not realize there was a YAN calculator in the Miscellaneous tools subsection. I will use this going forward 100%. 😍
Scott Labs also has a useful yeast nutrition planner. My usual go-to regimen is 20g/hL FMO at ~3 brix drop and another 20g/hL at ~1/3 brix drop. This year I doubled up on one of my fermentations (ie 40g/hL + 40g/hL) since I was using a nutrient-hungry yeast (BA-11). Still in the last few days of fermentation but it all tastes great so far. I would definitely not add any nutrients once below ~10 brix; that's when you get into trouble if you've added too much.

It seems the Vinmetrica YAN kit (which i have but ran out of time/energy to use ahead of AF) is mostly a (relatively) simple titration, with a lot of reagent prep. The use of formaldehyde and some of the centrifuging/decanting/filtration as recommended in the method does take some setup in terms of capability; is there a simpler way to conduct YAN measurements? i have seen some stuff about spectrophotometry but I think that may exceed my budget at this moment
I bought this kit this year; it seems to work and honestly not too much prep. You do have to be careful with use and disposal of formaldehyde.
How fast generally do the lab results come back for YAN from contract labs like ETS? I would consider sending out the juice to a lab if I could keep the remaining must cold while I wait for results, to delay fermentation initiation; but I'm not sure if my supplier for grapes (Corrados in Clifton NJ) would allow me to store the grapes in the walk in, crush a few, send a sample, wait some days, then pick it up.
I think it depends how close you are to the lab? I live close enough (and in a wine producing region) that we have a courier who picks up daily on request from the winery. We usually get results back same day at this time of year, ie courier picks up sample late morning and we get results by the evening. At most it will be next day. But if, eg you have to ship samples I don't know how that would work. They provide a very good service IMO and if you run their 'juice panel' it saves a lot over just a single assay (eg YAN)

Back