I finally found a good use for my dishwasher!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindy

Reaction score
I never use my dishwasher the only reason its there is to fill the whole under the counter:) so I though it would make a perfect drying rack for sanitizing and bottling wine. who else does this? it works great each rack will hold about 40 bottles 80 in total. I also bottled my liebraumilch my second batch ever I know I get excited easily:p
IMG_1446.jpg

IMG_1451.jpg

I have never tried it but I thought I read that some use the sanitizing cycle on their dishwasher. (I have a heck of a time just doing the normal wash.) Looks like it would work if there were a high enough temperature.

Nice bottles! You have a close up of that label? I love the way the blue foil ties in with the blue print on the bottom of the label.

Rocky, I dont use the dishwasher to wash the bottles because I dont feel it can get them as clean and sanitized
as I can way up inside, I'm just using the racks to drain after their sanitized then use the rack to hold them in place when I
fill them with wine.
the label is one I made it's my family coat of arms I thought it was kinda neat, I have been saving these brown liebfraumilch
bottle especially for this wine but sadly I could only drink 20 bottles while my wine was fermenting so I ended up 10 bottles short
so I used clear bottles with no labels or capsules lol we will drink those 1st:)
steinbacharms4.png

A washing we will go

HERE'S THE WAY I DO IT,:mnyFIRST DE-LABEL,SANITIZE,PUMP INSIDE WITH MKET LET DRY ON TREE, THEN PLACED IN DISHWASHER ,OUTSIDE TEMP IS AT 140 DEGREES GOOD ALL THE WAY AROUND..THEY COME OUT SPARKLING:hug AND REALLY READY TO GO:pic

I use my dishwasher, first I use a bottle brush on a drill and hot soapy water, then they go in dishwasher on "sanitize" wash. Then they get rinsed real well to assure no soap residue and then on the rack to dry.

I have had bottles that my drill scrubber won't get stain out. If it don't look perfectly clean, I ain't using it.

I guess I worked in food service too many years and seen too many things:s I still wont use the dishwasher.
boiling water,sanitizer,bottle brush and my insulated gloves lol then let dry on dishwasher rack:)

I agree with Cindy. A dishwasher is not designed to get up inside a bottle as the neck is too small. You can not depend on the sanitizing cycle to be the correct temperature as there are no government standards set and therefore no control over the heating element temperature or your element could be old and just not putting out the right temperature any more you could just be encouraging the growth and development of bacteria. Besides that there is the release agent that is dispensed in the rinse cycle old food in the bottom from the last washing just too many things there that can cause serious problems in a bottle of wine.

I use my dishwasher racks like that, too. I don't actually wash them in the dishwasher because I don't trust they will get clean enough. I do however spray down my dishwasher racks with Kmeta and use them like Cindy to hold bottles upside down while drying. My family has a coat of arms, too. I never thought to use that as a label! Yours look great! Here is our family crest.

Grant-Scotland Coat of Arms or Crest.jpg

oh thats pretty Neviawen! we should turn it into a label! love it.

"old food in the bottom from the last washing" yup thats why I wont even use a dishwasher for our
dinner dishes.

theory

If they are sanitized before they go into the dishwasher than the excess heat will drive off any bacteria from the balance of the bottle and or make a perfectly clen bottle for wine aging if needed,a bit more work but extra clean.:f

oh thats pretty Neviawen! we should turn it into a label! love it.

"old food in the bottom from the last washing" yup thats why I wont even use a dishwasher for our
dinner dishes.

Thanks! Did your crest have that golden color in the background or did you add that yourself? How did you make your label?

If they are sanitized before they go into the dishwasher than the excess heat will drive off any bacteria from the balance of the bottle and or make a perfectly clen bottle for wine aging if needed,a bit more work but extra clean.:f
If they are properly sanitized there is no need for heat to finish the job. Again there is no way to know for sure you are reaching a proper temperutre for enough duration to sanitize any thing in a dishwasher.

If they are properly sanitized there is no need for heat to finish the job. Again there is no way to know for sure you are reaching a proper temperutre for enough duration to sanitize any thing in a dishwasher.

OK, I'll bite. What is the correct temp?:a1

The wash water temperature in a dishwasher should be 140F to 160F to avoid baking the food on the dishes. The rinse water needs to be (180F) for 60 seconds.

I personally think this is all over kill. Wash your bottles and sanitize with whatever sanitizing solution you prefer. I like bottle trees for draining because they take up less room for about 90 bottles.

Cindy I love the label.

Latest posts

Back