I put my arm in the wine to get my ladle, I need help ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

artooks

Reaction score
Hi,

I am almost at the end of my fermentation, today when I took a sample from my wine with a ladle, I accidentally drop it inside my wine, today my SG is 1.003 so because the back side of the ladle was plastic, I panicked and put my arm in the wine and got the ladle, it was very instant but still, it bugs me whether it could ruin my wine and etc, normally I was going for MLF but under this case what could go wrong should I wait for the fermentation to finish and hit it with Potassium Metabisulfite without waiting for MLF or just continue as is ? What do you think ?

Thanks

Attachments

• artoooozzzz.jpg
    artoooozzzz.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 0
You have a risk that you have introduced an infection into the wine.
OK, so what? The grape juice was not sterile when you introduced yeast into it. The grape was not sterile when you treated it with metabisulphite. The wine is not sterile when it has 12% alcohol.

Wine is a multi variable preservative system. Removing sugar is part of the system along with having 12% alcohol and having yeast with kill factor and having CO2 and no oxygen and starting with pH of 3.5. Together the factors exclude families of microorganisms and create a food safe beverage.
The real risk is introducing oxygen into the wine. With oxygen organisms that were already in the juice as Acetobacter can create vinegar. Also chemical reactions which degrade fruity aromatics will happen. Oxygen is your enemy in finished wine.

The first 2-3 years of wine making I did punch downs with my hand/arm ( washed before). That was how it was taught to me from a home wine making store for smaller batches when not having a punch down tool. All the wines cames out fine and the red hand/arm was fun for while.
This made me think of the traditional way to crush grapes by stomping on them,

One can’t make traditional food without them. And yes that is mold on the traditional non-refrigerated sausage.
My parents grew up during the Great Depression, my dad on the family farm. He spoke of taking a sausage, washing the mold off it, and slicing it for a meal.

His family always had enough to eat, and for his entire life that was a point of pride. In his childhood, some of the neighboring farms didn't, and he recalled his mother giving potatoes to neighbors.

For the folks thinking "ick!" ... life is many places isn't what you experience. The rated G translation of one of my father's sayings is: "If you're hungry enough, you'll eat it."

One can’t make traditional food without them. And yes that is mold on the traditional non-refrigerated sausage.
The mold is a good sign. Very often the meat will be inoculated with the spores. Fast growing and beneficial, it protects the meat from harmful mold and bacteria. And they figured this out how many hundreds of years ago? Amazing.

My parents grew up during the Great Depression, my dad on the family farm. He spoke of taking a sausage, washing the mold off it, and slicing it for a meal.

His family always had enough to eat, and for his entire life that was a point of pride. In his childhood, some of the neighboring farms didn't, and he recalled his mother giving potatoes to neighbors.

For the folks thinking "ick!" ... life is many places isn't what you experience. The rated G translation of one of my father's sayings is: "If you're hungry enough, you'll eat it."
Right on 81! Most people didn't have fridges in those days. Hygiene is essential, but as my Dad used to say, "There's a big difference between a bit of mould, and being rotten." I think a lot of modern disease, is there because Kids aren't exposed to the things that we were.

I've been aging meat (great fun!) and plan to do fermented longer aging soon. Mold is in the freezer ready to go, Penicillium Nalgiovense, typically sprayed on the mat and inside of the aging chamber.

I think a lot of modern disease, is there because Kids aren't exposed to the things that we were.
I don't know about you folks in the UK but when I was a kid I got 3 vaccinations. Now I think the number is around 70. 70!!! Crazy.

The first 2-3 years of wine making I did punch downs with my hand/arm ( washed before). That was how it was taught to me from a home wine making store for smaller batches when not having a punch down tool. All the wines cames out fine and the red hand/arm was fun for while.
hehe, you ought to seen the practices the old timers around here had 50 years ago🤢, it'd give vino's a heart attack, lol
Dawg

Back