I'm Backkkkkk and ready to learn even more!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Ann and I have been a member since 2022 (short of a break because I lost the land I was supposed to have and had to start all over), but we now have land (50 acres) in Red River County, Texas and I have a vineyard planted and in and hoping it will make it...there is not alot of data on my area and growing grapes, but I did water tests and soil tests and drainage tests and all those tests PASSED. So I am hoping this is not just a dream. I planted 40 vines and have preordered 40 more for next spring and I am truly excited to watch things grow. We have found a natural spring on our property and are very excited about that as well.

So here we go...and I'm very happy to be back here...I love all the "regulars" and how much good advice I have seen you share over the past two years. This kind of help is priceless! Especially for us "newbies" who are starting from scratch.

So here's to ya'll ... and here's to making wine from grapes you grow yourself (and I have a long wait, but I have no doubt it will be worth it!).

Thanks for everyone always being so welcoming and now something new I saw today...spraying? There's spraying involved? I had no idea, but I'm willing to read everything and find out what I need to do.

Glad to have you back. Water! That’s a big win!

Just read an article on Tempranillo being planted in Texas, in the high plains I think. It’s a grape not usually found in juice buckets, which we non-California winemakers have at our disposal. What have you planted and what are you adding?

And yes, you probably will need to investigate spray programs for your area.

Glad to have you back. Water! That’s a big win!

Just read an article on Tempranillo being planted in Texas, in the high plains I think. It’s a grape not usually found in juice buckets, which we non-California winemakers have at our disposal. What have you planted and what are you adding?

And yes, you probably will need to investigate spray programs for your area.
Bob,
I did plant Tempranillo and they seem to be okay so far...we had some rough August 100s, so everything was under stress, but with 5 rows of white and 3 rows of red, the red actually seem to be doing the best! Some itasca (doesnt look as good as the others, its a white), barbera a red,-which is doing awesome, Chambourcin, Elvira, Edelweiss, Chardonel, and Ambulo Blanc.

Right now I'm pretty proud they made it through summer, especially after their rough start, as we didn't get our farm until June.

Looking forward to planting more though and making wine (eventually)!

Welcome back!

Are you making anything in the interim before your grapes are ready (which will be a few years)?
I will be making some fruit wine as soon as our buildings are ready. I will have a wine room and be able to go through the process and learn, while I'm waiting the 3+ years. I'm very patient, so I can see it being here before I know it.

I will be making some fruit wine as soon as our buildings are ready. I will have a wine room and be able to go through the process and learn, while I'm waiting the 3+ years. I'm very patient, so I can see it being here before I know it.
You may also want to try a few wine kits.

Back