Label Dilema

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Daughters wedding is off. And I have 124 full bottles (blue cobalt 375's) with labels. Obviously, names will never be the same again so need to delabel. These are permanent adhesive crack-n-peel glossy labels and they are tight. Cannot soak them and the razor blade will take forever so need some ideas from ya'll.

Thanx

rrawhide

Would it be in poor taste to just leave the labels on but add a big circle with a line through it?

(please forgive my attempt at humor - having been through some bad breakups I tend to rely on humor to get by) I hope everything works out, and it was certainly a labor of love for you to make all of those beautiful bottles to begin with.

Sounds like a good excuse to crack those puppies open and have some type of party.
smiley19.gif

Rick, I never met a label I couldn't beat. The problem is they are FULL and not empty like normal so soaking them in a tub of hot water and oxy-clean for several hours is probably not a very good idea.........

I think Ron's post (adding a label over the original) is your best/easiest bet under the circumstances. Just design something dark so the label underneath doesn't show through much or at all.

And sorry for the bad news, hopefully for the best for all parties.

I have had good luck removing labels from bottles that I got from a local winery by filling them with hot water and then just peeling the label off by hand, then cleaning the glue off.

I know that this is out of the question with full bottles but maybe you could lay a damp hot towel over the label for a couple of minutes and then see if it will peel off.

BOB

If you build a jig to hold the bottle in place and to protect your
hands and give you better pressure and control, you would be surprised at how fast you can get those labels off
with a razor blade (window scraper). After scraping, spray your hands with
De-Solv-It (very safe solution from Ace Hardware), and rub down each
bottle until you don't feel anymore glue; the glue will dissolve very quickly. Follow that with some
soap and water to rinse away the dissolved glue residue and you're done.

Yes, I know it sounds like I am trying to trivialize delabeling 124 bottles. That is a big job under any circumstance. However, the jig is the thing that makes the job faster and easier.

Of course you could wait awhile until they change their mind and decide to go ahead with the wedding.
smiley17.gif
Just kidding, however, that does happen from time to time.

I think I would just put a new label on top of the old one and not worry about it.

Brewgrrrl, that's a great idea as well!

Thanks (glad the humor came through - internet communication can be dicey sometimes)

I was actually thinking that, if it were me, I might want to throw a big party for all of my friends and serve the wine with the amended labels (red circle w/line through it).

BTW - not sure how constructive this suggestion is, but a hunting friend of minesaid that if your daughter has any gun skills, the empty bottles would make for nice target practice.

Sorry to hear that. The good side is it happened now instead of after the I do's. I agree with the others on just applying new labels over the old. Now the big question is, What are you going to call this wine now. I am sure you or someone will come up with something real ceative. Please keep us posted!

Sorry to hear of the news, better now than later. Although maybe they are not seeing that now. As most have said cover up with something else, maybe duct tape (watch Red Green).

Brewgrrrl, I did chuckle when read your post, good one!

simple solution.....mail the bottles to the ex w the attached note....'this isn't all you gave up..."

Al, we need pisanos to take care of this. got any laying around?

love
rrawhide

rrawhide..humor in sad times is often best. I agree with ibglowin..soaking the bottles in oxy-clean in not good. So have a party and then soak the empty ones..problem solved..relax, take a deep breath. Tomorrow is a brand new day..Kids!

Rick.....all the wine and a dead fish in fish wrapper.....now of course we all know that you are not implying that he will sleep w the fishes...but just that he stinks like a dead fish...

besides does anyone in the family want to pop a bottle of that and remember what it stood for? i would rather force him to be reminded ;)

I would just be looking at all that wine thinking - it's mine now! let's have a party...

Name it "Yesterday's Wine" and we hope for a better tomorrow.

Back