Looking for an Apple Cider Wine recipe

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericsp

Reaction score
I plan on buying Apple Cider locally. It’s unpasteurized and only UV treated.

After reviewing some possible yeasts I see Red Star Premier Blanc might be a good candidate for what I’m looking for.

I use D47 for all my hard apple ciders. (tried a bunch over the years and for me it makes the best -- and has a low nutrient requirement - meaning H2S creation isn't very likely).
ICV D47 is a wine-making yeast known for its characteristics:
Good luck and Cheers!

I use D47 for all my hard apple ciders. (tried a bunch over the years and for me it makes the best -- and has a low nutrient requirement - meaning H2S creation isn't very likely).
ICV D47 is a wine-making yeast known for its characteristics:
Good luck and Cheers!
The first year I made grape wine I did in fact have the H2S what causes that?

A friend of mine told me rack into a bucket from my carboys and stir each bucket with copper pipes in the plastic container . After doing this for what seems forever it solved the problem. It took many weeks of doing this.

I was so new to winemaking I didn’t look further.

The first year I made grape wine I did in fact have the H2S what causes that?

Lack of nitrogen-bearing nutrients is generally the root cause. Here is how I explained it in a post long ago: https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/rotten-egg-smell-once-again.44723/#post-507262

From my reading of the primary and secondary literature, this is my understanding of H2S production and its relation to N deficiency. Proteins are made of amino acids, and two important amino acids contain sulfur. The yeast has to provide the sulfur to form these compounds to the proper organelle during protein synthesis. It does so in the form of H2S, which it extracts from more complex sulfur-containing compounds. One organelle passes the H2S off to the organelle responsible for protein synthesis.

However, nitrogen is a major component of amino acids (hence the root amine, from ammonia.) If there is a dearth of N, the organelle responsible for synthesizing the sulfur-containing amino acid cannot do its job; this results in a surfeit of H2S, which the yeast then excretes.

As John points out, we are extraordinarily sensitive to H2S and thiols (larger SH-containing molecules). That is why they add a tiny (ppm) amount of methane thiol to your natural gas supply, so that you can smell when you have a gas leak. This is good for gas-leak detection, but the unfortunate result for winemaking is that we cannot tolerate very much H2S excretion by our pet yeasts.

A friend of mine told me rack into a bucket from my carboys and stir each bucket with copper pipes in the plastic container . After doing this for what seems forever it solved the problem. It took many weeks of doing this.

I was so new to winemaking I didn’t look further.

Exposing the wine to copper will indeed help get rid of H2S. However, it is frowned upon because the acidic environement of wine can cause unknown, perhaps unhealthy, amounts of copper to leach into the wine. There is a product called Reduless that can administer a safe, controlled dose of copper to reduce an H2S problem.

Lack of nitrogen-bearing nutrients is generally the root cause. Here is how I explained it in a post long ago: https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/rotten-egg-smell-once-again.44723/#post-507262

Exposing the wine to copper will indeed help get rid of H2S. However, it is frowned upon because the acidic environement of wine can cause unknown, perhaps unhealthy, amounts of copper to leach into the wine. There is a product called Reduless that can administer a safe, controlled dose of copper to reduce an H2S problem.
geese @sour_grapes , when you baby set Jesus did he wear sandals or tennis shoes :i
Dawg

Latest posts

Back