Malolactic complete?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklausjames

Reaction score
I started malolactic ferm about 3.5 weeks ago in 3 wine: 15 gallon cab sauv/franc blend, 11 gallon amarone juice and 7 gallon barolo juice. The bacteria was vp 41 and I kept in a heated space 70-75 degrees.

I did chromatography yesterday and it appears the malo has turned to lactic in all the wines, however the can sauv still has many small bubbles at the top. Should I leave another couple weeks or is it done?

Could you post a pic of your chromatogram? I would let it go a couple more weeks if your still seeing signs of activity/bubbles.

Yeah, couple of pics would be nice,
I have the same Amarone from MM Fresco also going through MLF with vp41.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Looks done but as Mike said I'd leave alone for couple more weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Its looking good. Hard to tell due to the angle of the paper but it appears you might have a little malic left (slight smear). I would let it go another week or two. Do another test and if it looks the same or better then go ahead and sulfite it.

Also, I now know to give you socks for Xmas this year :)

When I first saw the picture, I thought it was the world's largest piece of chromatography paper!

(A bit of forced perspective?)
perspective13.png

So I waited and re ran chromatography. 2nd chrom was run about twelve days after first. I added two chardonaays which obviously aren't done. Think the others are done? My issue is there are still several small bubbles at the top of the cab sauv.ImageUploadedByWine Making1416679019.873565.jpg

As u can see I wore my slippers this time. :)

ImageUploadedByWine Making1416679173.926660.jpg

Here is a pic of the bubbles in the cab sauv. It's not actively bubbling there just is a rim of bubbles.

Latest posts

Back