May need to get more corks soon...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can a bottle of wine be re-corked?

sure, why not?
Are you asking if a cork can be re-used? If so it is not recommended as the cork loses its shape and compression once in the bottle.

sure, why not?
Are you asking if a cork can be re-used? If so it is not recommended as the cork loses its shape and compression once in the bottle.

what I meant to ask is that, can I pull out the old cork and put in a new one? Maybe check the SO2 and add some if needed while the bottle is open?

With older more prestigious bottles, like Opus, etc, you can actually send the bottle back to the winery and they will pull the old cork and put a new one in for you.

Corks are made to last different lengths of time, so they don't always last as long as the wine does. For this reason, I like to wait for More Wine to get in their #3 overruns. They come with wineries labels on them, but they are sold at a discounted price. 98% of them are usable, but I have a few on the shelf that didn't pass my standards.

#2 and #1 corks are ridiculously priced, but they last like 8-12 years or something like that

Can a bottle of wine be re-corked?

Yes, certainly. As long as the contents are okay and the bottle is topped off, you can re-cork it.

Expensive wines that have been aged for very long periods of time (more than, say, 20 years or so) are periodically opened and recorked with a fresh cork.

I hope this post is OK. Just got an email that Label Peelers has 35% off corks. A bag of 1000 #9 1 3/4 corks about $81. Could be tempted.

I hope this post is OK. Just got an email that Label Peelers has 35% off corks. A bag of 1000 #9 1 3/4 corks about $81. Could be tempted.

I saw the email. But that one may be the lower quality corks?
I think their better quality ones (9 x 1 3/4 Premium Quality Straight Wine Corks 1000 ct) is $125.08

Of course it is, Label Peelers is an official sponsor of WMT!

Mike,

I didn't really know that they became sponsors, I guess recently?
Anyway, their customer service AND prices is one of the best out there..:b

They have been a sponsor for a few months now. I see there banner ads at the top of WMT on a rotating basis. You can always go to the Sponsors Page to see the current list of Sponsors!

when using natural cork, is it still required to let the bottle stand up for a couple of days before laying down?

when using natural cork, is it still required to let the bottle stand up for a couple of days before laying down?

Yes, it allows the pressure in the bottle to even out with the atmospheric pressure before it's laid down and the cork to swells

Ok. Bottled yesterday and got my first bottle bomb. :po This wine was fermented last May, Vacuum Racked numerous times, bulk aged till November and spent 11 weeks in the barrel. I always let the bottles stand about three days to a week before laying them down. This time I just had finished corking, the bottles were standing and I was cleaning up the area when I heard it. Pow! and the sound of the precious elixer dripping off the shelves. :slp. I'm thinking the change in atmospheric pressure due to the approaching storm?? :? Another hour or so of cleanup I wasn't ready for and 1.5L of wine gone. Hopefully the rest will be ok.

I would think longer corks increase the time it takes for O2 to get to your wine.

Back