Merlot Issues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druchri

Junior
Reaction score
Hey there, I'm a beginning wine maker and am in the process of making Merlot from grapes. The grapes were analyzed when I got them at a of pH 3.61, Brix 22.4, and TA 6.0 g/Liter. The guy who sold them to me told me that I could tartaric acid to them if I wanted but I did not. I am not sure if this affecting the wine now.

The problem that I am having now is that it is very acidic to taste and bitter. At first I thought it would balance out when it got warmer but now it seems to have gotten worse. The wine has a distinctly tart flavor to the point where it almost sour. I never was able to tell if Malolactic finished which I hear may be the issue, which is that there is still malic acid present.

Anyone have any idea what this taste might indicate? Is it too late (I've racked a few times) to add Malolactic again? Could this be related to not adding tartaric acid? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Don't try to do MLF again. Adding tartaric acid at this point will only make it taste more acidic.

If the wine was just finished fermenting and possibly MLF, it is very, very young and green. Young, green wine is just like unripened fruit, it is tart, green tasting and not ready or pleasant to eat.

So, I suspect your wine is just fine. It will get better over several more months and could be ready to drink in a year or so, depending on several factors. Just be patient.

Last edited:
I would first re-test the PH and TA to be sure of your levels and that the readings are current. I find that the pallet is the best analyzer. If you feel it tastes acidic, then I would suspect that it is too acidic. this can be adjusted down if need be.

I find that bitterness can be attributed to tannins. you could either let the wine age for several more months or, perhaps, do a splash racking (to reduce the tannins). either way, I would say that your wine needs more age, no matter what you do.

Back