Metheglin mead ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just wondering, is the SG still 1.100 (unchanged)? Did it not start at all?

For difficult ferments, I make the starter using the must rather than sugar water:
* Rehydrate the yeast with GoFerm
* Once that is fermenting well, stir and add an equal volume of must, and wait for it to start fermenting
* Repeat the step above, adding enough must to again double the volume
* Once that is fermenting well, add it to your fermentation vessel.

Using must to get the starter going helps to acclimate the yeast to the conditions of the must, including acidity, temperature, SG, and anti-microbial properties of any of the ingredients. This is my normal procedure for difficult to start ferments.

I'm giving up on the mead. SG is down to 1.080, and the pH is 3.4 with adding water plus all the yeast starters. I'm not going to waste any more yeast on it.
However I was thinking about boiling it back down to honey, kind of like maple sap into syrup, Does anyone have any thoughts about that?

I'm giving up on the mead. SG is down to 1.080, and the pH is 3.4 with adding water plus all the yeast starters. I'm not going to waste any more yeast on it.
The SG dropped from 1.100 to 1.080? It's obviously working, so why quit?

However I was thinking about boiling it back down to honey, kind of like maple sap into syrup, Does anyone have any thoughts about that?
Given what you put into the must, it's not going to be honey again.

it's not working, there isn't a bubble to be seen. The gravity went down from dilution, I started at about 2 1/2 gallons, and now it's almost 4 gallons.
Yes you could make a shelf stable syrup. With organic nitrogen I would have no concern, ,,, dead yeast are used in a number of foods to provide glutamate/ meaty flavors, ,,, the dosage would be low and not be serious for flavor.
We are not supposed to consume DAP and urea. They are not approved food ingredients.

If I had sunk a lot of money into this and wanted to get anything out of it I would consider...

1. Boil it down into a syrup, to be used with a fortifying liquor like Everclear to make a tasty cocktail.
2. Boil it down into a syrup, add red wine, heat it up making it into a winter spice wine.

I’m not a mead maker, so take these comments as coming from an “educated outsider”.

Mead is difficult enough to ferment given that honey has anti-microbial characteristics. The spices also have anti-microbial properties. The cloves, ginger, pumpkin pie spice (which by the way includes cloves and ginger), and nutmeg, all have anti-microbial characteristics.

There’s a reason mead makers use step feeding, starting with a high SG is just another hurdle to have to clear. Perhaps the spices should have been added after fermentation completed. Or let the spices seep in Everclear for a few weeks/months before adding that mixture to the fermented mead.

I give you credit for attempting this. Massachusetts is a state that allows the sale of Everclear so I would check that out.

Mead is difficult enough to ferment given that honey has anti-microbial characteristics. The spices also have anti-microbial properties. The cloves, ginger, pumpkin pie spice (which by the way includes cloves and ginger), and nutmeg, all have anti-microbial characteristics.
I added cinnamon, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg to my last batch, which we bottled Saturday. It may be that my proportions were low enough that it didn't have any effect.

Next batch (some time in the future) will had ginger added, but I'm leaning towards adding that post-fermentation.

Sidetrack… sorry… I had always attributed the antimicrobial properties of honey to its relatively high osmolarity and lower pH. Thanks to this discussion, I’ve learned quite a bit more especially about hydrogen peroxides and nonperoxides, antioxidants, polyphenols, methylglyoxal, bee peptides… Fascinating…

Antibacterial potency of honey
Honey: it’s medicinal property and antibacterial activity
Antimicrobial properties of honey
The antibacterial activities of honey
Antibacterial components of honey

Very interesting Dave. That's why my mead wouldn't ferment, along with the spices I should have waited to put in, it didn't stand a chance. I should have posted my recipe before I made it, so much information here!
Thanx for the informative link

Yes you could make a shelf stable syrup. With organic nitrogen I would have no concern, ,,, dead yeast are used in a number of foods to provide glutamate/ meaty flavors, ,,, the dosage would be low and not be serious for flavor.
We are not supposed to consume DAP and urea. They are not approved food ingredients.
Thanks, RG, I used LD Carlson yeast nutrient and fermaid K. I guess I won't be boiling it down. I was wondering about the unused nutrients, I think I will go organic on that in the future. Always a learning experience.

@Codfish My belief is that you can get a fermentation going. The technique of doing a starter works. ex
Bryan’s starter > add 25% of starter volume of your hard to start must > wait 20 to 30 minutes for the yeast to adjust then add another 25 to 50% of that volume > wait 20 to 30 minutes again > add 25 to 50% volume > etc.

@Codfish My belief is that you can get a fermentation going. The technique of doing a starter works. ex
Bryan’s starter > add 25% of starter volume of your hard to start must > wait 20 to 30 minutes for the yeast to adjust then add another 25 to 50% of that volume > wait 20 to 30 minutes again > add 25 to 50% volume > etc.
I tried that twice.

Next batch (some time in the future) will had ginger added, but I'm leaning towards adding that post-fermentation.
I am leaning in this direction as well. I put only a limited amount of spices or ginger in the primary, and make a starter as @Rice_Guy suggested. Then if I want more spice, I add spices in the secondary stage.

Latest posts

Back