Never bottle too early

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am guessing MLF kicking in again, although it could be a little AF as well. Maybe even a little outgassing of CO2. The place I store this wine stays cold over the winter and likely MLF did not complete. I have seen it happen before, so I stay 2 years in bulk. At least it did not spill all over the floor this time.

I am guessing MLF kicking in again, although it could be a little AF as well. Maybe even a little outgassing of CO2. The place I store this wine stays cold over the winter and likely MLF did not complete. I have seen it happen before, so I stay 2 years in bulk. At least it did not spill all over the floor this time.
Close on #4... Glad you don't have a clean up.

Checking my notes, I have not added Kmeta after racking the gros lee. In the past I would add sulfite but for the last two years I stopped because there is so much trapped CO2, my wines remain protected. And, I have had spontaneous referments even after adding the sulfite. Seriously. Amazing amounts of CO2 come out of my wines when I whip them. So far I am not detecting any oxidation issues with my wine.

@winemaker81 Definitely some of this is expansion, but there is also bubbles rising to the neck and the airlock is bubbling. These bubbles are bigger than what I expect from MLF. The cellar is 76F, normally it is in the 60's

I would add sulfite but for the last two years I stopped because there is so much trapped CO2, my wines remain protected.
Sulfite protects from more than just O2. I allow extra headspace the first few weeks of heavy outgassing, but after that K-meta is a good idea.

Okay, I agree now that this looks like outgassing. The bubbles are more vigorous than MLF and also I made chromatography tests that confirmed MLF completion. I have given everything a 25 ppm dose of K meta, added oak to a few carboys, made tasting notes.

I am a little gunshy after bottling before MLF completion and also bottling with trapped CO2. Neither wines were good.

Okay, I agree now that this looks like outgassing.
This is probably another side effect of the temperature change -- with the increased temperature, the wine can hold less CO2 in suspension.

I agree, it's great that there's no real problem here.

This happened to me once. The temp in my cellar dropped lower than I wanted so I turned on some heat there. However, the tiny airspace in the carboys didn't account for expansion of the wine and pushed wine into the airlocks.

Okay, I agree now that this looks like outgassing. The bubbles are more vigorous than MLF and also I made chromatography tests that confirmed MLF completion.
I found that using a vacuum pump to rack the wine a couple of times after fermentation gets rid of most trapped CO2. I usually vacuum-rack once after AF is complete and then again in a month or so after MLF is done.

I built myself something like the all-in-one pump with Amazon bought parts to test the concept and kept using it because it works really well.

I barrel age all my reds and built an adapter so I can vacuum rack into the barrels as well. The only time I use a siphon or a transfer pump anymore is when the receiving vessel is not strong enough and may cave in from negative pressure. Vacuum transfer really helps with degassing wine.

Last edited:
Back