New guy with a few questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dzlater

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all,
I recently decided to try and make a gallon batch of blackberry wine using a can of Vintners Reserve Blackberry Puree.
I went to the Vintners Reserve website to see what info they had and basically the website says to follow the directions on the can. My can had no directions so while searching the web trying to figure out what to do I came across this forum.
What I did was add some boiled and cooled water to the puree to bring my volume to 3/4 of a gallon, and took a gravity reading. Then used an online calculator that told me how much sugar to add to 1/2 gallon of water so I would have 1.25 gallons @ 1.090.
I also added pectic enzyme and yeast nutrient. Let it sit for a few hours, then aerated and pitched Cote de Blanc yeast.
It fermented in a 2 gallon bucket for 7 days (I did give it a good stir twice a day for the first couple of days) it appeared that the fermentation had slowed so I racked it into a gallon jug. I know I probably racked it to soon and should have taken a gravity reading first.
I thought by starting with more then a gallon I'd be able to fill the gallon jug and leave most of the lees behind. But when I racked I had to transfer a lot of the lees to get the jug filled.
It's been in the jug for 10 days and there is 4 inches of yeast in the bottom. At the moment I don't have another jug to rack it into.
So can anyone give me any advice on what my next step should be?

Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to WMT!

I've just done kits and am still new to this but I'll give a shot at answering your question... Determine that your fermentation has stopped. Rack back into that bucket which should now be cleaned and sanitized. Rack right back into the jug after quickly cleaning and sanitizing. Getting rid of the head space will perhaps be your biggest challenge without a smaller jug to which to rack. Marbles would do the trick; I don't know what a similar wine would be for what you're making.

Much more knowledgeable and inventive folks will likely post after me and give you better advice.

Thanks for the tips.
Do you think topping it off with some cheap blackberry brandy would be OK?

I wouldn't add the brandy til it is completely done fermenting, otherwise the high alcohol could kill off your yeast. Arne.

I guess what I am really asking is how long can I let safely sit on the yeast. There is about 4 inches in the bottom of the jug.
It doesn't look like it's fermenting anymore. There is a bit of pressure in the airlock and I do see some CO2 bubbles at the top of the wine.
I know I should take a hydrometer reading but if I pull a sample I'll need to top off. And if I drop the hydrometer in the jug I'm afraid it will sink to far down and I won't be able to get it out. I'm starting to see why 1 gallon batches are not the best idea.
As far as boosting the alcohol by topping off with brandy I don't have a problem with that. I suppose I could water it down to lower the ABV.
I just got a refractometer I know it isn't used post fermentation. But I'm thinking if I take a reading every couple of days I'll at least know if the gravity is still dropping

Last edited:
Clean your equipment with kmeta, take your sg reading and return the winecto your carboy

I agree with dralarms. If you have a wine thief or a basting tube a measuring cylinder and a hydrometer and they are clean and you sanitize them then you can remove a sample of the wine, fill the tube and insert the hydrometer. After you have got your reading you can pour the wine back into the container or carboy you took it from without any fear that you will somehow contaminate the wine.

Clean your equipment with kmeta, take your sg reading and return the winecto your carboy

I did this but I used StarSan.
Gravity was at 0.992
Done fermenting I'm assuming?
How long can I leave it in the primary on the yeast?
Do I need to add anything to the secondary? (camden tablet, potassium sorbate)
Thanks for the help.
Dan

I would rack it into clean carboy, add campden tablets and let clear (at tjis point I also add potassium sorbate, but they fuss around here if you add it to a wine that is not clear). You need minimum headspace now so needs to be topped off with a like wine, juice to boost flavor, marbles, etc. Let it clear, add potassium sorbate and sweeten to taste.

I racked it into the sanitized bucket.
Dumped the slurry out of the jug.
Rinsed and sanitized the jug and racked back to the jug with the campden tab, and potassium sorbate.
I bought a 750 ml bottle of ArborMist Blackberry Merlot, to top off with.
I had to use the whole bottle!
So my one gallon batch of wine is propably around 20% ArborMist!
I'm not real happy about it but, what the heck? I'll chock it up to learning experience. I did save the slurry in a sanitized jug, I'm curious to see if it settles out better and how much actual wine I lost.
Thanks again for all the tips.
Dan

Latest posts

Back