Newby

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
Hello all, I have just registered at this site, and I am quite new at wine-making. I look forward to drawing upon the expertise at this site and making whatever small contributions I can.

Welcome

I have only been on here for a few months, but have learned alot and enjoyed the people.

Grant

Welcome Smokegrub and hope youll stay awhile and share your
experiences! This is a great place to learn and help others and buy
quality products that are backed 100%. Do you have anything started as of yet?

Edited by: wade

Welcome aboard!
smiley20.gif

Thanks for the kind welcome. So far, I have finished 2 Vintner's Rserve White Zinfandel kits, 2 (5 gal.) batches Welch's 100% Grape Juice Concentrate, 1 (1 gal.) batch Welch's 100% Niagara Grape Juice, 1 (5 gal) batch apple (bulk aging), 1 (2 gal) batch apple juice (my first disaster!) and a Vintner's Reserve Chardonnay that will be ready to bottle in about 10 days.

Pending projects: 5 gal. banana wine (for blending), 5 gal. sour cherry wine (doubtful now because of the recent freeze), 5 gal. strawberry wine (also doubtful because of the freeze), 10-15 gal. blackberry wine and then more kit wines.

The apple wine was made with finely chopped apple and has been difficult to clear. I have since learned, I think, that it had a starch haze. I t has been bulk aging at our old family place in the cellar for several months. I will get to check it out this week.

Welcome Smokegrub !!!
You will find that this forum is full of kind and knowledgeable people.
It sounds like you are jumping right into it.
Good Luck

Welcome Smokegrud...hope you stay awhile....Sounds like you have been making some good wines and that you aren't afraid to try different ones....Enjoy your stay...I sure do.

Welcome Smoke, I think you are really going to like it here.....

Welcome aboard Smoke... We are pretty new to this hobby as well.This place has been this best for help and info. Hope you can share your pics and experiences with us

Welcome Smoke,

Looks like you have your feet goodin' wet with wine makin so far. Good luck with the batches!

Hey smoke, I had the same problem with my Apple and almost as severe
with a Pear. SuperKleer KC worked for me in about a week with the Apple
and 3 days with the Pear.

Welcome aboard and good luck on the Newbie drawing for a nice little prize.

Welcome Smokegrub, was the clearing apple the disaster?, or something more sinister?

My only serious disaster so far occurred with apple juice. I used a recipe with cranberries, raisins and a specified amount of sugar--I had dropped and broken my hydrometer. After I pitched the yeast I expected a quick start and got nothing after 24 hours. I pitched another packet of yeast and got nothing after another 24 hours. I assumed that the sugar level was inhibiting the yeast so I diluted the must by 50% and started another batch of yeast in some of the must. Fermentation was slow but it started. I then back added sugar a cup each day for several days. Fermentation eventually stopped and racked to a secondary. After fermentartion was complete the wine tasted lousy so I stabilized the wine and added 1 can Welch's 100% concentrate and 1/4 cup sugar, to taste. It still tastes lousy so I have it bulk aging in the cellar. I learned my lesson! I now have a new hydrometer, and I am using it! By the way, I named my failure my "mutt" wine since it is a hodgepodge.

I have since made a Welch's 100% Niagara that is quite nice--I backsweetened it a bit and added 1 can white/grape peach concentrate.

I am now at the old home place and the apple wine has cleared nicely on the lees for the past 6 months. I plan to rack it soon, sweeten to taste and add some apple/peach concentrate and bulk age at least a month or two before bottling.

I had a hydrometer survive 15 yrs and three moves only to get smacked against a chair a month after I restarted this hobby. I now have three spares-insurance.

Latest posts

Back