New (old) home with vineyard owner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for all of your replies.

I made the new plantings this spring with blue protection tubes. Many of the New Vines are now growing out the tops of the tubes which are at about 36 in from the ground. When do I remove these tubes? My inclination is to leave them until the vine can be tied to my 40-in wire which is the lowest wire I have. Inadvertently, I lifted one of the tubes yesterday and couldn't get it back down because the foliage on the vine opened up. Also, most of these new vines have growth on three or four buds. For a new planting on grafted rootstock, my reading tells me that I want to select and keep just two shoots off of the Scion, removing the weaker looking shoots. In order to do this , I have to remove the tube . When do people typically do this in the first season? I don't want to remove the tubes too early, but I'm figuring that they need to be removed before it gets to the point that I can't remove them without cutting them off. Is this right?

Sean

The first year you typically let the vine grow however it wants. Ignore the form since you just want it to put down good roots. Next spring you can prune to the best vine and start forming a trunk.

You need to remove the tube in time to let the vine harden off before winter. So maybe a month before the leaves start to fall. Earlier won’t hurt anything. If you have the two-part tubes you typically cut the sleeve to remove them.

ETA. I have no experience with grafted vines so there may be some specific pruning needed for them… for instance, removing growth below the graft.

Back