Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinfandhelp

Junior
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone has some experience with this. I’m an amateur home winemaker and have never seen this before.

I’ve got a Zinfandel going right now, started from grapes, roughly 200lbs. Pressed 3.5 weeks ago, inoculated for MLF and never added kmeta (after the initial dose pre-yeast).

The flavor profile is lovely, I was happy with my MLF (a first for me, have never inoculated for this before), and decided to rack it a second time onto some kmeta solution (1 campden tablets per gallon).

As soon as I racked it, there was a significant amount of fluffy lees that precipitated out. There are also small white particles floating completely suspended within the wine, stationary unless I move the carboys. Four days later (now), it seems that some of these recently rode some bubbles up to the top and scared me about infection, but I’m almost certain it’s not infection. I had a litre of leftover wine at racking after downsizing which didn’t get any kmeta and has been sitting on my counter top with much more oxygen exposure, and it’s perfectly clear. No evidence of infection. Also no real off smells in the sulphited wine either. Am I nuts? Is it infected? Please help.

Last edited:
Wondering if anyone has some experience with this. I’m an amateur home winemaker and have never seen this before.

I’ve got a Zinfandel going right now, started from grapes, roughly 200lbs. Pressed 3.5 weeks ago, inoculated for MLF and never added kmeta (after the initial dose pre-yeast).

The flavor profile is lovely, I was happy with my MLF (a first for me, have never inoculated for this before), and decided to rack it a second time onto some kmeta solution (1 campden tablets per gallon).

As soon as I racked it, there was a significant amount of fluffy lees that precipitated out. There are also small white particles floating completely suspended within the wine, stationary unless I move the carboys. Some of these recently rode some bubbles up to the top and scared me about infection, but I’m almost certain it’s not infection. I had a litre of leftover wine at racking after downsizing which didn’t get any kmeta and has been sitting on my counter top with much more oxygen exposure, and it’s perfectly clear. No evidence of infection. Also no real off smells in the sulphited wine either. Am I nuts? Is it infected? Please help.
IMG_3592.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3597.jpeg
    IMG_3597.jpeg
    2.4 MB
I agree with Bob.

While the amount of sediment suddenly precipitating seems odd, there is a rational explanation. Campden can be a PITA to work with, as the coating resists crushing and it's necessary to truly grind the tablet to powder. For 200 lbs of grapes you had to crush a bunch of tablet, and it appears there were a fair amount of large chunks. That explains what's floating.

The sudden precipitation? At 3 weeks, no wine is actually clear, regardless of what your eyes tell you. The non-powder chunks of the tablets may have acted as nucleation points for sediment, causing it to clump and fall.

As long as the wine smells and tastes good, it's ok.

Wait a week or two. Then wet a paper towel with K-meta solution and use it to get any floating bits. Rack off the lees, clean the carboy, and rack back.

Note -- for the amount of grapes you're using, don't use Campden. K-meta powder is cheaper and far easier to use. Standard dosage is 1/4 tsp in 19 to 23 liters of wine at each racking and every 3 months during bulk aging.

My guess is that it is related to Campden which should be 100% potassium or sodium metabolite. The effect is probably related to a change in electrical charge which is causing particles to clump.
As Bryan notes your wine is young. If we looked at it under a microscope we would find lots of small particles / yeast / bacteria which are below visible size so it looks clear even though it isn’t really. Another guess is that if you did nothing these would drop out over a month giving fine lees,, and again more lees over the first year. ,,, it is there you just don’t look under the microscope.

I wouldn’t worry.

Latest posts

Back