Ph calibration solutions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulie vino

Reaction score
I bought a pH meter last year and used the liquid calibration solutions that came with it. However now they are expired and looking to buy for more this years wine. It seems like buying powdered packets that you mix yourself is cheaper than buying premixed liquid solution. I figured if I buy a a few packs of individually.packed powder solutions that will last a few years vs the 6 months shelf life of premade solution. I attached a picture from Amazon. Does anyone else use something like this?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240914-221714.png
    Screenshot_20240914-221714.png
    791.9 KB · Views: 1
I have used the dry mixes in the pilot plant. They work and were easy.
The main risk with a pH buffer is picking CO2 up because they have head space. Keep the bottle tightly closed.
Unless you are doing research work to 0.001 unit, accurate enough buffers last longer than half a year. Our useful accuracy working with food systems is in the range of 0.05 unit.

Last edited:
I bought a pH meter last year and used the liquid calibration solutions that came with it. However now they are expired and looking to buy for more this years wine. It seems like buying powdered packets that you mix yourself is cheaper than buying premixed liquid solution. I figured if I buy a a few packs of individually.packed powder solutions that will last a few years vs the 6 months shelf life of premade solution. I attached a picture from Amazon. Does anyone else use something like this?
Only thing I ever use. 4.1 and 6.86 but be sure to dissolve every last grain.

I bought a pH meter last year and used the liquid calibration solutions that came with it. However now they are expired and looking to buy for more this years wine.
I think that buying powder/capsules and making up fresh should be fine, but FWIW I posted a while back about comparing fresh vs year-old standards. I found that they gave identical results, so I wouldn't worry too much about using standards that are a year old. My personal experience is that I get through a bottle of standards every year or so, so replacing them once a year makes sense for me...

Back