Post a Meme, any Meme! (no politics)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's one that's even better!
View attachment 115259
If you have ever driven a senior model Packard from the 20's and 30's, you had one more "pedal" to operate on occasion. Here is a 1931 Coupe. Look at the floor and from left to right you will see the clutch, the brake, the accelerator, and a rectangular black rubber pedal (visible just beyond the floor shifter). That is for the Bijur lubrication system which lubricated a number or points on the chassis while one was driving. The pedal was connected to a reservoir of lubricating oil on the firewall under the hood with metal tubes running to critical points on the chassis. Pushing on the pedal forced oil through the tubes to oil the chassis.
1724681010034.png

My father owned a T. When he was teaching me how to drive, I recall him explaining how a T worked.

By golly, it's an art to drive one! Not only do you have to know the three pedals, but also the lever on your left, and at the same time you are adjusting the spark timing advance and the throttle on the steering wheel.

The Model A got a little simpler...

1931_ford_model_a_pedals_by_creativet01_dezvni6-fullview.jpg

52c6ee25c59656ede70a4aa80315df4b.jpg

If you have ever driven a senior model Packard from the 20's and 30's, you had one more "pedal" to operate on occasion. Here is a 1931 Coupe. Look at the floor and from left to right you will see the clutch, the brake, the accelerator, and a rectangular black rubber pedal (visible just beyond the floor shifter). That is for the Bijur lubrication system which lubricated a number or points on the chassis while one was driving. The pedal was connected to a reservoir of lubricating oil on the firewall under the hood with metal tubes running to critical points on the chassis. Pushing on the pedal forced oil through the tubes to oil the chassis.
View attachment 115273
I don't want to bore my friends on the forum with Packard stories, but I have had several over the years and I am fascinated by the company and its cars. In the early 1930's they introduced variable shock absorbers which were controlled by the driver. If the road was smooth, the shocks could be made firm and if the road was bumpy, they could be made soft by regulating the flow of hydraulic fluid into the shocks. There was some controversy when the feature was first introduced because the control was labeled "In Firm, Out Soft," meaning that one pushes the control IN for firm shocks and pulls it OUT for softer shocks. There was a minor uproar due to the sexual innuendo of that phrase, so Packard relabeled the control "Ride Control." If one can find one of the original controls today, they are worth a fortune to Packard enthusiasts. I can't even find a picture of one on the internet.

1724719036203.png

I don't want to bore my friends on the forum with Packard stories, but I have had several over the years and I am fascinated by the company and its cars. In the early 1930's they introduced variable shock absorbers which were controlled by the driver. If the road was smooth, the shocks could be made firm and if the road was bumpy, they could be made soft by regulating the flow of hydraulic fluid into the shocks. There was some controversy when the feature was first introduced because the control was labeled "In Firm, Out Soft," meaning that one pushes the control IN for firm shocks and pulls it OUT for softer shocks. There was a minor uproar due to the sexual innuendo of that phrase, so Packard relabeled the control "Ride Control." If one can find one of the original controls today, they are worth a fortune to Packard enthusiasts. I can't even find a picture of one on the internet.

View attachment 115295

😄 I like the original knob.

I think Packard and Studebaker were both brands that were way, WAY ahead of their time in terms of styling and engineering.

Back