Rosé in Neutral Red Barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinTG

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience aging rosé in neutral barrels that were previously holding red wine (specifically darker varieties like petite syrah)?

We do a saignee rosé, typically of granache (though might do a sangio this year) and I'm mostly interested in the effects to the color. How much darker will the rosé be?

I know there are tons of other considerations (we never put out rosé through malo and I'm worried that malo will Kickstart in the barrel and make the wine flabby), but for now, I'm really interested in finding out whether we will have something that looks like a rosé or if we'll have to "market" it as a "chill-able red."

Any thoughts and anecdotes welcome.

Last edited:
I would be concerned about malo occurring with barrel aging a rosé in a barrel that previously had a red. If you do this you probably want your sulfite addition to be a bit on the high side. Oxidation might also be a concern if you leave it in too long - reds benefit from the micro-ox of a barrel but most rosé styles would not. I have no idea what it's effect on the color would be. But part of what's great about this hobby is experimenting and seeing how things turn out!

Back