slight equipment modification

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lieu

Reaction score
Hey Guys and Girls
I don't know if anyone else uses one of these brushes for their bottle cleaning but I think this might do a little better job than just using the handle of the brush.
20110511_203258_IMG_0494_640x48.JPG

I broke the handle off the brush after I measured it with a bottle leaving a little extra to fit in the chuck of the drill.

20110511_203519_IMG_0493_640x48.JPG

This picture is obviously of the bottle out of the water but what I did (with the help of my 3 y/o daughter
smiley32.gif
) is clean the bottles while they were soaking in the water bath. Now I will clean the labels off, clean the outsides with soapy water in the sink and rinse really well.
Quick question- I soak my bottles in water and CBrite. Does anyone see any problems with using this mixture?

Hi Bruce,

Great idea! Your picture threw me there for a minute before I read the text. My first thought after seeing the second picture was, "Wow, that is one big drill!" and then I read that your 3 year old daughter was holding it.

I have never used CBrite. I use "Oxyclean" for cleaning equipment. I can't let it sit on the equipment for a long time and must rinse well, but it works and is very inexpensive because I use the Walmart generic. For washing bottles, I use either the "Oxyclean" or"Dawn" dishwashing liquid.Dawn cleans very well and rinses completely. For removing labels, I use the Dawn only and soak the bottles overnight in a stationary tub. I don't want the bottles to sit in the Oxyclean that long.

I understand why you don't want your equipment in the oxyclean for very long (because of the abrasiveness), but why not the bottles? I have left my bottles soaking overnight in oxyclean because I got tired and didn't finish (hoping the stubborn labels would get easier to remove by the next morning), but have not seen any negative effect on the glass bottles. Am I missing something?

Bart, I may be mistaken but I thought I read on this site that leaving the bottles in Oxyclean has the possibility of residual Oxygen salts on the bottle. If I clean and rinse them immediately with lots of hot water, I feel safe. The dishwashing liquid is developed to clean and rinse easily. I would like to use the Oxyclean if it is safe. It is certainly inexpensive when you buy the 5 lb. container.

Hey Guys
I leave the bottles in the water and CBrite for 3 to 4 days sometimes.I hope this is ok.??

I have no problem soaking my bottles in oxy clean over night. This is just for removing labels not the inside. Everything easily rinses off including the dried residue. But I don't do this anymore as it is counter productive.

Soak your bottles in the hottest water you have with oxy clean. In about an hour scrape off as much of the label as you easily can. Set it back in the sink for another 30 minutes. This time the rest should come off and if it doesn't just give it another 30 minutes and it will.

Leaving the bottles in over night means you loosen the glue and then as the water gets cold it resets itself all over again.

Latest posts

Back