Sourcing Lodi grapes

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpcart

Junior
Reaction score
I've found local message boards for Sonoma and Napa where growers can post available fruit. Have searched around and haven't found anything for Lodi yet -- which is odd when Lodi dumped massive amounts of fruit last year! Anyone know of any boards or forums to connect with Lodi growers? I would think some beautiful old vine fruit is going to be out there looking for a home in a few months. Thanks.

You could periodically check https://www.winebusiness.com/classifieds/grapesbulkwine or similar industry listings. They are primarily intended for wineries, but you can always contact a vineyard and ask if they are open to selling small quantities to home winemakers. The worst they can do is say no ;)

Last year I used Craigslist to find a local vineyard for Pinot Noir grapes where the ad was specifically geared to home winemakers, but this year I contacted a vineyard from an Oregon-specific wine classified list, that is a much closer 20 minute drive away from me, and they were willing to set aside my requested quantities of ~100lb each of Pinot Noir and Riesling.

Last edited:
The regulations are very high in California. If you're purchasing fruit from a commercial vineyard, you may need to get a license in order to do so.

Another source of info for lodi grapes is the local craiglist and the Sacramento Home winemakers page. What are you specifically looking for? I live close by the region and buy grapes from that area. I can keep my eyes open for you. BTW you don't need a special permit in CA to buy grapes. Also, Amador is a great region as mentioned above.

The regulations are very high in California. If you're purchasing fruit from a commercial vineyard, you may need to get a license in order to do so.
No such license is required. I have bought grapes in both Paso Robles and Carmel Valley from commercial growers without any issues. I do find that growers are generally more receptive when you shop for larger quantities - e.g. a macro bin (which is 1000 pounds plus or minus).

No such license is required. I have bought grapes in both Paso Robles and Carmel Valley from commercial growers without any issues. I do find that growers are generally more receptive when you shop for larger quantities - e.g. a macro bin (which is 1000 pounds plus or minus).
That's true in the east as well. When I lived in Upstate NY, I purchased from 2 Finger Lakes vineyards that would sell in small quantities, and I knew 2 winery owners who would sell excess juice in 50 gallon barrels.

After moving to NC in the 90's I found a couple of small growers in western NC, but didn't like the quality of the grapes, so I used each only once.

Since 2019 I've been part of a group buy that purchases a collective multi-ton collection of grapes from Lodi (through Musto and Gino Pinto), and last year @VinesnBines sold me 6+ lugs of her southwestern VA grapes.

Finding home winemaker-sized batches of grapes for sale can be tough. I count my good fortune.

The Durham NC-based group I belong to buys 3+ tons of grapes each fall, which gets us a better price on shipping. Ya'll on the west coast should count YOUR fortune that you're not paying for shipping across the country! ;)

We have folks driving 3+ hours to get to Durham to pick up their grapes. It's worth looking for local winemakers to get macro-bin loads.

Last edited:
I've been buying fruit from CA commercial vineyards for over 10 years with no problems. Now if you're buying excess bulk "wine", that's another story.

I've been buying fruit from CA commercial vineyards for over 10 years with no problems. Now if you're buying excess bulk "wine", that's another story.
Interesting. I have spoken with a commercial winemaker from LA county who purchases fruit from Lodi. He told me about the permit he needs to buy fruit, along with some type of certification for his scales. It was crazy the amount of red tape he had to go through to acquire grapes.

Maybe it is for commercial buyers only.

Back