Stainless Steel Roundbar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grapeape

If it gets out of balance or bent, send it to me. I will straighten and balance it for you. I do shafts with impellers all the time.

You know, you could always just use that rod and buy the replacement wings for a Mix Stir. Drill a hole and add the wings and you have a Mix Stir at considerable savings. Or if you work in a shop and have access to flat stock stainless, cut a couple wings and stick them on. Your good to go.Edited by: smurfe

I found another 4 foot section, so I have a total of 8 feet which will allow me to try a few options. I think based onforum feedback, it makes sense to try to drill a hole and use the fizz-x paddles. My concern with this is the diameter is only 1/4 inchand if I use a 1/8th inchbit, it will only leave a 1/16th on the sides. I would need to test the strength of this in a carboy of water. If it does not break, then I'm home free. If it breaks, the options are:

- tryslightly flattening the tip where thehole isto add more shoulder strength
- try a smaller hole (risk is breaking thebitor bolt)
- try one of the wave configurations to resemble the plastic wine whip
- find a peice of thicker SS roundbar (but at that pointI'd probablyjust buy the fizz-x).

I hope to find some time to play with this tonight. Thanks for the advice and assistancein this experiment. Obviously this is not about the $$, it's about trying something new and hopefully learning something - which is the same reason I'm enjoying home winemaking as a new found hobby...ok, I like drinking the stuff too.
smiley4.gif

Thanks.

GrapeApe.

I personally would try it in a bucket full of water and not a glass carboy.

Latest posts

Back