Storing Excess Liquid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domw001

Junior
Reaction score
Whats the best way to store excess liquid once it have been racked from primary into the secondary?

Hopefully I will have some liquid left over when I fill my secondary 1 gal. carboy. I can then use that liquid for topping up.

I could put say, 2 pints, into my other 1 gal. carboy, but would the the head space be too much for the spare liquid?

I usually add to wine bottles and add a airlock.

Do they make drilled airlock bungs to fit wine bottles?

I can only find 1 gal./carboy size ones.

You can put wine into smaller carboys and wine bottles. If you don't have an airlock at the time of bottling wrap a piece of plastic wrap over it, put it in the refer for a few days until you get an airlock. They are really cheap.

Sure beats wasting good wine.

I have seen a video where someone has put a balloon with a small pin-prick over the neck of the wine bottle.

:? :? :? :?

I guess this would permit gas expansion and ventilation it it's own way.

just a thought......if i put the excess in another bottle with a campden tablet to kill the yeast and fermentation, can I then use that liquid for topping up?

if so then i would say, only after fermentation has stopped.

As i said in http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8193 :
i have been going from 2 gallon primary to 4 ltr secondary (hopefully with 750ml overage) to 1 gallon at first racking, trying to not use the 750ml, that way i have it for the next racking. Some wine just drop more sediment than others.

Also there is the option to have a glass from the leftover 750ml during the second racking if some of it is needed, can't leave it in the bottle with all that headspace. LOL.

oh, when doing this make sure that if you are going to need it that you use the 750ml first as it will have more sediment to must ratio.

Latest posts

Back