The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your talking sacrilege Mike! That loaf looks amazing and perfect!

So have you tried putting the bread into a gallon zip lock bag after completely cooling down (like 4-6 hours later). This is what we do and every time we take the loaf out of the bag the next day its lost its outer crunch and is very soft (even the top crust). So much that we put sliced bread into toaster or toaster oven to crisp it back up for sandwiches etc. I suspect we have similar EL/humidity/environments.

View attachment 115999
Ok, so back to actual bread talk. HELP, looking for suggestions on making the crust on a sourdough boule slightly softer. Mine is coming out really crunchy. I'm happy with the taste and the texture of the insides but if you try to toast or broil slices the crust will almost cut your mouth. For this last loaf I left in a covered dutch oven for 30 mins and uncovered for just 10 verses a more standard 20 and 20 at 450 degrees. I also brushed with melted butter when it came out. It did seem slightly better when grilled and definitely better just sliced.

Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated.

Your talking sacrilege Mike! That loaf looks amazing and perfect!

So have you tried putting the bread into a gallon zip lock bag after completely cooling down (like 4-6 hours later). This is what we do and every time we take the loaf out of the bag the next day its lost its outer crunch and is very soft (even the top crust). So much that we put sliced bread into toaster or toaster oven to crisp it back up for sandwiches etc. I suspect we have similar EL/humidity/environments.
I had the same issue and did as you said - after the loaf cools, I store it in a zip-lock bag and it softens up the crust. It toasts up fine.

Back