The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two weeks in my normal schedule but I didn't feed before we went out to SoCal and then when we got home my father's day "present" came 4 weeks early..........

1716767871376.png

Which necessitated us cleaning out the garage (bigly) in order to fit everything into place. Luckily we are in our hot/dry season as the truck dumped it off on our driveway with about 30min notice and it took us a few days to clean things out and get ready to put into place.

I did another round of donairs the other night after being introduced to Za'atar. It was certainly a missing aspect from the recipes I had tried in the past.

That meant pita. Another successful batch. Only 1 50% poof, the rest were perfect. This recipe is easy for anyone wanting to try something fun and out of the ordinary.

https://natashaskitchen.com/pita-bread-recipe/
1000001384.jpg1000001387.jpg

IMG_2903.jpeg

IMG_2900.jpegIt’s with a heavy heart I have to report the unexpected demise of kitchen aid pro 5. Twenty two years old, she had so much more to live for …..
On a happier note she went out doing what she loved, cinnamon rolls AND my new cast iron, matte black, 5 qt. Tilt up kitchen aid should be here today!

View attachment 115649

View attachment 115648It’s with a heavy heart I have to report the unexpected demise of kitchen aid pro 5. Twenty two years old, she had so much more to live for …..
On a happier note she went out doing what she loved, cinnamon rolls AND my new cast iron, matte black, 5 qt. Tilt up kitchen aid should be here today!
😥 I will tilt a glass for her tonight.

View attachment 115649

View attachment 115648It’s with a heavy heart I have to report the unexpected demise of kitchen aid pro 5. Twenty two years old, she had so much more to live for …..
My condolences! The good always die so young.😩

At least there are good snacks at the wake!

I just wanted to add a quick note. I have both a tilt up and the lifting bowl style. The tilt up I have had for a decade. I just upgraded to lifting bowl. I kept the second because it is convenient for small batch things like naan. 200 grams is small for the bigger mixer. It may be because of all of the years she has on her, but the tilt up has a pin for the hinge that works its way out as it mixes. I always have to check it. It also walks across the counter and I am not comfortable getting more than a couple of feet away, certainly not leaving it unattended for any length of time.

They are completely different machines. I suggest playing with the new one and making sure it is as nice to use as the old girl. Don't just stick it in the cabinet and miss the option to return if it doesn't hit the mark. keep the box and run 'er through the paces!

View attachment 115649

Yes, condolences.

I have the same model, maybe a couple years older. About 5 years ago I thought it died. I opened it up (because that's what I do) and discovered all I had to do was repack the gear box with food grade grease. Working great ever since!

Yes, condolences.

I have the same model, maybe a couple years older. About 5 years ago I thought it died. I opened it up (because that's what I do) and discovered all I had to do was repack the gear box with food grade grease. Working great ever since!
I’ll check that out, it does seem to be a gear problem. It’s was also starting to bog down and overheat under pressure. Thanks!

View attachment 115649

Mike, you have my sympathies for your loss. Our K-A, purchased in 1978, is still going strong. All I have replaced is the bowl mounting bracket (I don't have the same model as you), and the cast replacement part was a real improvement over the original stamped piece. They are great products. When I lived in Dayton, OH, I toured their factory and was very impressed with their operation.

Attachments

• 100_2218.JPG
    100_2218.JPG
    671.9 KB · Views: 0
I have a Kitchen Aid lift-bowl , bought new 10-12 years ago...and one year into owning it I had to replace a broken gear. it jammed up, ran hard, made noise.
New gear and repack the gearbox area with food-grade grease did the trick. wasn't very difficult to do, and didn't cost much at all. Worth the time and effort, imo

I also had a KA mixer from the 90’s that had seen a ton of use. For the past 15 years or so, the switch has been “glitchy” - still, it worked. As life happens, I had the opportunity to upgrade to a newer KA when I cleaned out my mother’s house. When I went to put my old one on Craig’s List, I mentioned the glitchy switch. “The engineer” (husband) decided after oh so long to look at it before posting. Hmmmm - apparently excess flour in the workings causes glitching. A bit of cleaning of the connections and back to full service.

It’s with a heavy heart I have to report the unexpected demise of kitchen aid pro 5. Twenty two years old, she had so much more to live for …..
I have one that I bought in 1973. Hobart will renew your machine for a reasonable fee. I had stored mine where it could freeze and a resistor was damaged. I sent it to Hobart and they repaired it for me.

From all the responses to the Kitchen Aid I guess, all in all, they are a well respected and good brand of equipment. My new model arrived in time to mix up a sourdough pizza dough for dinner. First gut feeling is that this model is a little lighter duty than my older version but still solid. To be honest I don't mind that it's actually a bit lighter, easier to lift out and put a way from the cabinet. I also like the tilt up style for wiping down the sides of the bowl. I also like the way the bowl attaches to the base vs. the clip in style. Only concern is whether it will be able to kneed a large amount of dough for an extended period of time. Forgot to mention that it walks about the counter much less than my old one did.

newMixer.jpg

From all the responses to the Kitchen Aid I guess, all in all, they are a well respected and good brand of equipment. My new model arrived in time to mix up a sourdough pizza dough for dinner. First gut feeling is that this model is a little lighter duty than my older version but still solid. To be honest I don't mind that it's actually a bit lighter, easier to lift out and put a way from the cabinet. I also like the tilt up style for wiping down the sides of the bowl. I also like the way the bowl attaches to the base vs. the clip in style. Only concern is whether it will be able to kneed a large amount of dough for an extended period of time. Forgot to mention that it walks about the counter much less than my old one did.

View attachment 115710
Mike,

KA makes a bunch more models these days than they did 25 years ago. Check/compare the wattage of the new one vs your old one. You might be shocked. Thats why some are $299 and some are $599.

Back