The secret life of a winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinny

Mildly Amused
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may end up being a AIO wine pump advertisement.

The new cabinets are working out brilliantly. I finally have all of my hobbies sharing space rather than fighting for it. I folded up the gym this afternoon and bottled the Bourbon Chardonnay. It was put in primary April 30 of last year. When you get patient, you sure get patient. 😄 Feels like it was weeks ago!

I wash up my bottles and sanitize everything in the laundry sink and then cart them around in a milk crate. Open up a cabinet and pull out the All In One. Open another and pullout some wine. Some quick line connections and we are bottling.
1000001355.jpg
I bottled half as racked to a 3 gallon carboy, as per usual.
1000001357.jpg
It was so easy, I decided to do it all over again with the Trinity blend.
1000001359.jpg

5 minutes to clean up, close the doors, and who would know that the room is full of hidden treasures. ;)

Great set up Vinny! The only improvement I could offer would be the addition of a Premium Wine Bottle Filler from Steve. An outstanding product. Once you try it you'll wonder how you got along without it!!!
Pardon my lack of enlightenment but what is the purpose of the gauge on your overflow bottle?

'Paw

Great set up Vinny! The only improvement I could offer would be the addition of a Premium Wine Bottle Filler from Steve. An outstanding product. Once you try it you'll wonder how you got along without it!!!
Pardon my lack of enlightenment but what is the purpose of the gauge on your overflow bottle?

'Paw
Thank you sir.

So, I actually made my pump and box. Shipping and the exchange to the Canadian $ is a killer. I would have been close to $500 for the pump shipped, but I wanted all of the connections and fittings rather than jimmy rigging things. I bought the hoses and everything from Steve, did some research and found a pump. I ended up copying his design, 'cause I couldn't think of anything better. Came out about $200 when I was done. Had I known it was going to be so slick I wouldn't have been so leery of the cost, but it seemed like a lot at the time for what I could already do with gravity.

What a game changer though. I would never go without it, again.

I had the gauge and I like visual references. It actually makes it really easy to make your pressure adjustments. When you degas and hold at 25, even if you have some bigger bubbles still coming up, you know you are done. I like to bottle around 8 and I can make the adjustments for a comfortable flow easily. Look at the gauge for reference rather than the flow and done. With that and my hydrometer, pH meter,and other gadgets, all I need is a lab coat. 😄

It would be about $100 to get the filler shipped up, but I have to admit it looks like it is worth it!

🤔 Hmmmm.

I was gonna say, I like the color of your pump better than my white one, guess I could paint mine...
I just used a can of lacquer based black in a spray can. I have no patience for 5 coats of white or drying time. It was simply the path of least resistance. Wouldn't take much to shine 'er up as pretty as your car. 😄

looks good
only improvement I can see is a wet area. I mean a place you can get Buck Crazy with water and not worry about getting things wet. Some what like a shower stall that you can clean things in not destroy surrounding things.
I really like your set up

Thanks Paw! You cost me a Benjamin! 😄
Well, sorry 'bout that but bet you'll be glad at your next bottling!👍 Would suggest that you practice a little with water just to get the hang of it. The neatest thing is when the bottle is full and you press the release, the level will adjust to the level of the metal filler tube (which is adjustable) hence, your fill level will be consistent.
I started just like you with DIY equipment and it worked great until the pump started acting up right in the middle of an 80 bottle run!!! That was enough to convince me to pull the trigger on the AIO pump and I've never looked back! I've got a few yrs on me now - actually taught bacchus all he knew about wine ;) and every time racking or even the thought of lifting full carboys rolls around my old backI pays homage to Steve!!!! The AIO really shines when I use it to move 40-50 gals of must from the primary each season. I can rack the must using the free run tube and mesh directly in to secondaries leaving the skins in the primary and ready for x-fer to the press. No more dipping and slopping hulls and must into the press and making a real mess.
Glad you took the plunge on the bottle filler and pretty sure you will be too. Like the old saying goes: "Buy the best and you'll only cry once"!! Keep us posted on progress.

looks good
only improvement I can see is a wet area. I mean a place you can get Buck Crazy with water and not worry about getting things wet. Some what like a shower stall that you can clean things in not destroy surrounding things.
I really like your set up

Thanks. The laundry room was the first upgrade. Yikes, 2 years ago now. That's where all of the mess happens. I used to haul everything over and the only part of the process I wouldn't do there was mixing up musts, which is easier in the kitchen.

Now I find it is easier to bring my washed bottles into the room rather than drag wine around the house.

sink.jpeg
sink2-jpeg.113240
sink3.jpegwasher.jpeg

Attachments

• sink2.jpeg
    sink2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
Well, sorry 'bout that but bet you'll be glad at your next bottling!👍 Would suggest that you practice a little with water just to get the hang of it. The neatest thing is when the bottle is full and you press the release, the level will adjust to the level of the metal filler tube (which is adjustable) hence, your fill level will be consistent.
I started just like you with DIY equipment and it worked great until the pump started acting up right in the middle of an 80 bottle run!!! That was enough to convince me to pull the trigger on the AIO pump and I've never looked back! I've got a few yrs on me now - actually taught bacchus all he knew about wine ;) and every time racking or even the thought of lifting full carboys rolls around my old backI pays homage to Steve!!!! The AIO really shines when I use it to move 40-50 gals of must from the primary each season. I can rack the must using the free run tube and mesh directly in to secondaries leaving the skins in the primary and ready for x-fer to the press. No more dipping and slopping hulls and must into the press and making a real mess.
Glad you took the plunge on the bottle filler and pretty sure you will be too. Like the old saying goes: "Buy the best and you'll only cry once"!! Keep us posted on progress.
It really is amazing how simple everything gets with the AIO. You look at it and think it looks like a luxury, but once you have one, there is no going back.

Back