To blend or not to blend, that is the question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gilmango

Reaction score
Going to a pick in Oakley on Sunday via Michael, the CA Wine Broker, who will be there with his trusty crusher/destemmer (which is essential for me - for an extra $20). He has now confirmed that 3 old vine (50+ year old) grapes will be available: Carignan(e), Mataro/Mourvedre/Monastrell, and Petite Sirah/Durif. All are 80 cents/#. These are all grown in sandy Oakley soil and head trained, I am excited. I have not picked in Oakley before and don't know where we will be picking exactly but it all sounds very promising and apparently there are tons to grapes to be picked, so I won't have problems - picking solo - to get exactly what I want.

That gets to my question. What do I want? Between the equipment I have and using Michael's crusher/destemmer, it is just not really realistic for me to pick two separate varietals or two separate blends, keep them separate, etc. So it will all make a single varietal or a single blend.

I'm leaning into 100% Carignan.

But I'm also excited by a blend, so far my favorite idea is 9 parts Carignan, 2 parts Mataro, 1 part Petite Sirah.

I enjoy drinking all 3 but in my limited wine making experience, I have made all 3 exactly once in different manners. Carignan - only as part of a limited edition "kit/extract" wine from WinExpert(? or RJS?) blended with (EDIT2: it's blended with Grenache / Garnacha not Monastrell and is a WE '21 LE) Monastrell from Spain (still not bottled, tastes good); Petite Sirah - as a single varietal kit/extract wine from FWK - Lodi grapes (bottled and quite good but not great); and Mourvedre - first grapes I picked 3 years ago in Brentwood, not the best grapes, bit watered down, wound up blending over half of it with FWK Syrah to get better color, tannic grip, balance.

I think I'm leaning to Carignan in part as it seems less common commercially and less commonly available to pick too, but I do love a good Mataro/Mourvedre and my first one was not so good.

Also leaning single varietal or one grape being dominant in a blend so I can better taste that varietal (or dominant varietal). Appreciate any input!

EDIT - and if anyone is going to this pick let me know (here or DM) and let's say hello or even swap some bottles. And if anyone wants to come and isn't on the mailing list contact Michael at [email protected]

Last edited:
In recent years I've been doing mostly blends, so I'd lean in that direction. Your 9/2/1 blend sounds fine.

It's a tough choice, especially as you're doing it blind. On the plus side, both choices are good so you can't make a bad one. If you get down to the wire and can't make a decision, roll a d6 -- 1 to 3 is Carignan, 4 to 6 is blend.

I prefer blends as the finished blend is often better than either of the two or more components. This chart shows flavor profiles of various grapes. Note that Bordeaux (Cab, Merlot, Cab Franc) has flavor profiles that compliment each other. Where one grape is low on a certain flavor, the others have that flavor.

https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/red-wine-flavor-profiles/

Blend. Absolutely.

We prefer to ferment separately and perform bench trials after aging a bit. That allows for more control over the finished product.

We also do a field blend. Much easier.

Nine-two-one:

Great idea. However, a little bit of Petite Sirah goes a long way. Carignan is not a particularly bold grape. Its character will be buried under the PS if too much is used. The Mourvèdre is a wonderful choice but won’t protect it. You might want to consider limiting the Petite Sirah to no more than two pounds per hundred.

Field blend is less controlled. A proper blending session is more accurate. A bonus is, it's more enjoyable!
Appreciate all the input!

I will have the ability to blend after the fact in that I have 10 carboys of wine at home (it is all at least 1 year old but I don't mind blending across vintages). So if I went 100% Carignan or went with a blend, and found it not quite what I wanted, I could do bench tests of various blends before I bottle.

But out at the pick tomorrow I just won't readily have the ability to pick say 100# of Mataro and 150# of Carignan and keep them totally separate. Given the small scale of my picks (200-250#), and the small number of vessels I have to safely drive the must back home without spilling, and then ferment in, I just need to do a field blend tomorrow, if I blend at all.

I prefer blends as the finished blend is often better than either of the two or more components. This chart shows flavor profiles of various grapes. Note that Bordeaux (Cab, Merlot, Cab Franc) has flavor profiles that compliment each other. Where one grape is low on a certain flavor, the others have that flavor.

https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/red-wine-flavor-profiles/
Great chart, wish it had Carignan on it. But founds this, WineFolly really is a great source: https://winefolly.com/deep-dive/carignan-guide-food-wine/

Going to a pick in Oakley on Sunday via Michael, the CA Wine Broker, who will be there with his trusty crusher/destemmer (which is essential for me - for an extra $20). He has now confirmed that 3 old vine (50+ year old) grapes will be available: Carignan(e), Mataro/Mourvedre/Monastrell, and Petite Sirah/Durif. All are 80 cents/#. These are all grown in sandy Oakley soil and head trained, I am excited. I have not picked in Oakley before and don't know where we will be picking exactly but it all sounds very promising and apparently there are tons to grapes to be picked, so I won't have problems - picking solo - to get exactly what I want.

That gets to my question. What do I want? Between the equipment I have and using Michael's crusher/destemmer, it is just not really realistic for me to pick two separate varietals or two separate blends, keep them separate, etc. So it will all make a single varietal or a single blend.

I'm leaning into 100% Carignan.

But I'm also excited by a blend, so far my favorite idea is 9 parts Carignan, 2 parts Mataro, 1 part Petite Sirah.

I enjoy drinking all 3 but in my limited wine making experience, I have made all 3 exactly once in different manners. Carignan - only as part of a limited edition "kit/extract" wine from WinExpert(? or RJS?) blended with (EDIT2: it's blended with Grenache / Garnacha not Monastrell and is a WE '21 LE) Monastrell from Spain (still not bottled, tastes good); Petite Sirah - as a single varietal kit/extract wine from FWK - Lodi grapes (bottled and quite good but not great); and Mourvedre - first grapes I picked 3 years ago in Brentwood, not the best grapes, bit watered down, wound up blending over half of it with FWK Syrah to get better color, tannic grip, balance.

I think I'm leaning to Carignan in part as it seems less common commercially and less commonly available to pick too, but I do love a good Mataro/Mourvedre and my first one was not so good.

Also leaning single varietal or one grape being dominant in a blend so I can better taste that varietal (or dominant varietal). Appreciate any input!

EDIT - and if anyone is going to this pick let me know (here or DM) and let's say hello or even swap some bottles. And if anyone wants to come and isn't on the mailing list contact Michael at [email protected]

I'd make two blends. You have a challenge with these 3 varietals

Petite Sirah - rich, high intensity, low acid (east of San Francisco this could be very good) (I'd ferment it with RC212 with B vitamin nutrients)

Mourvedre - smells like Italian seasoning - sensational in Grenache with Syrah. Should be fine with Petite Sirah (I'd ferment it with RC212 with B vitamin nutrients)

Carignane - this is high tannin and high acid (I'd ferment it with RC212/71B to get the acid down.

If I had these grapes I'd ferment everything separately. Other wise I'd ferment some Carignane with Petite Sirah to drop the acid. and some Petite Sirah with Mourvedre to make the Petite Sirah more complex.

https://clinecellars.com/ancient-vines-zinfandel

If I could only do one blend I might do something like 60% Mourvedre 20% Petite Sirah and 20% Carignane

or if you are totally confused do 1/3 of each varietal.

Last edited:
Picked 227# of a field blend of roughly 76% Carignan, 22% Mataro, 2% Petite Sirah (just 12-15 medium sized bunches). Really sandy soil, non-irrigated, "the "old prune-heads in the sand dunes," as Michael said. Grapes looked great, though there were some raisined clusters which I avoided, it really varied from one head trained vine to another. Tasted great in the field.

About to pull 3 gallons off to make a rose, and better concentrate the red blend.

I did not have any chance to pick and crush things separately, so all is blended and I'm OK with that.

EDIT - SO2 and Lallezyme EX yesterday, and made yeast starters. Rose saignee and un-insulated fermenter of red blend got 100% RC212 today, biggest insulated fermenter (so hottest) got all Big Red yeast from Cellar Science / morewine, and 2nd insulated fermenter got Big Red plus RC212. Yeast nutrients and sacrificial oak when the cap forms, some Opti Red as well.

Last edited:
Back