Turbinado Sugar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duncan

Junior
Reaction score
I'm a beginner in wine making. Mostly into it, to make mead. Have been reading all post I can find. But have not found anything on using turbinado sugar. Can anyone tell me what does this sugar do for or against the character of wine?

Duncan, welcome to the board. I'm not much of a mead maker but there are a couple here, including te best, Masta. If you do a search for "Turbinado" I'm sure you'll come up with something. I'm certain Masta posted about it a couple of years back.

From Jack keller's site:

Turbinado Sugar: A raw sugar which has been partially processed, removing some of the surface molasses. It is a blond color with a mild brown sugar flavor that enhances some wine bases as no other sugar can.Edited by: jobe05

Welcome Duncan, Ive made a few meads but have never tried the turbinado
sugar or even seen a recipe with it but would like to learn more of
this so keep us posted if and when you get info on yhis.

I have never read about anyone using this type sugar in a grape wine but I have used brown sugar in some fruit wines. Since turbinado sugar doesn't have a lot of molasses in like brown sugar I wouldn't hesitate to use it in a mead.

Latest posts

Back