Two batches, one taking significantly longer to clear

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devnull

Junior
Reaction score
I made a batch of peach mango wine and a batch of pear. Both fermented to dry (.992 for both actually). In both cases I added pectic enzyme before starting fermentation. With the pear I gave it about 8 hours before pitching my yeast and with the peach mango a little less.

So the peach mango I racked into a carboy 19 days ago, and the pear 3 days ago. The pear (on the left) is almost completely clear, but the peach mango isn't much closer than it was the day I racked it.

Is this pretty normal? I'm not really worried so early in the game but the stark difference is interesting to me.

Btw I added some banana to the peach and used part brown sugar and part white to ferment which is why it's so brown.

Attachments

• PXL_20240919_222655438.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240919_222655438.MP.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
looks normal to me, different fruits/berries will clear at different rates.
i had a apple/pear/crabapple one time that took forever, but it was way more then worth it in the end, wine is a strange thing,
it learns you patience or cracks your brain. I often state that crafting wine is like watching grass grow and being able to watch flies die of boredom. Patience lots and lots of Patience... they make clearing agents, but i prefer time to do it's magic.
Dawg

if you are using juices ,
checkout www.colomafrozen.com
all are pure single fruit/berry concentrates,
for years i used fruits and berries, but due to health in later years i use a fair amount of concentrates .
poor old press is lonely, lol.
Dawg
Cool. So far I'm just doing fresh fruit but juice might be a cool option at some point

I've had issues with multiple batches of peach wine not clarifying over the years even though I gave it pectic enzyme, degassing, clarifying agents, rerackings and time. None of these efforts would end up clarifying some batches. As a result, I had to use my last defense,... my Buon SuperJet with the #3 filter pad ran through twice to remove all haze, making it crystal clear.

I've had issues with multiple batches of peach wine not clarifying over the years even though I gave it pectic enzyme, degassing, clarifying agents, rerackings and time. None of these efforts would end up clarifying some batches. As a result, I had to use my last defense,... my Buon SuperJet with the #3 filter pad ran through twice to remove all haze, making it crystal clear.
did you happen to try a year or two of bulk aging, ;) ,
Dawg

When fermentation is totally over, there are two things that will cause a wine not to clear: entrained particulates and chemical, as in pectin. Particulates are easy to drop out. A K&C combo is an easy fix, especially at lower final gravities. That will typically clear out particulates. Depending on the final gravity, two doses may be necessary. Chemical is not even in the same ball game but a different universe. That's where additional pectic enzyme may be necessary. Using PE up front is helpful, but may not be enough depending on the fruit. Bentonite is another tool to help both particulate and pectin. Temperature of the wine can affect clearing, as well as, the amount of tannins. My suggestion is to read everything you can about pectin, pectic enzyme, and bentonite. IMO, peach and pear wine are the most difficult wines to clear. Adding the extra pectin with mango and bananas didn't help the clearing either. When you think the wine is clear, try cold stabilizing for about 2 -3 weeks at about 35*F, then look in the bottom of the carboy. Another round of bentonite may be in your future.

What temperature is your wine making area? I have found by personal experience that pectic enzyme works better at higher temperatures. In my case, moving from 65 to 75 degrees F made a significant difference.

Here is a scientific study that backs that up:

What temperature is your wine making area? I have found by personal experience that pectic enzyme works better at higher temperatures. In my case, moving from 65 to 75 degrees F made a significant difference.

Here is a scientific study that backs that up:

My shop is typically 55*F to 60*F during my wine "season". I use a temperature controller to set the temps I want for both fermentation, clearing, and aging. I usually clear at 70*F to 75*F. All of the methods and recommendations in Techniques in Home Winemaking by Daniel Pambianchi are spot on.

Back