Veraison has started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Marquette, Frontenac and Marechal Foch have started turning. I just took a break from putting up bird netting due to a thunderstorm. It has been a very dry, hot and humid summer.

there are huge flocks of blackbirds in the marsh on one side and feeding in the oats on the other! On the plus side I have seen large flocks of tree swallows feeding on JB’s in the vineyard too.

I would say start now. Sounds like bird pressure may be high. They start to get a taste for the grapes shortly after veraison so now is a good time to do a final leaf pull/thin to open up the harvest zone and then net. You could always try a bird deterrent kite or Owls as others suggested but blackbirds, robins and sparrows do not mess around once they get a taste and get pretty bold pretty quickly. Also, net well. I had to let out 4 birds this morning (1 dead) due to poor netting by some helpers.

I would say start now. Sounds like bird pressure may be high. They start to get a taste for the grapes shortly after veraison so now is a good time to do a final leaf pull/thin to open up the harvest zone and then net. You could always try a bird deterrent kite or Owls as others suggested but blackbirds, robins and sparrows do not mess around once they get a taste and get pretty bold pretty quickly. Also, net well. I had to let out 4 birds this morning (1 dead) due to poor netting by some helpers.
listen to Greg!

My Baco noir and tempranillos is have been coloring up nicely for 2 weeks now, malbecs and tannat are still solid green.

The tannats are usually late but the malbecs and tempranillos are usually within days.

Hmmm.

Last edited:
My Baco noir and tempranillos is have been coloring up nicely for 2 weeks now, malbecs and tannat are still solid green.

The tannats are usually late but the malbecs and tempranillos are usually within days.

Hmmm.
It's been an odd year in SLC. I wonder if the heat has stunted some varieties. My Itasca is hard as a rock still. Frontenac, Marquette, and Aromella are mostly doing what I'd expect.

Marquette started around July 30th.
Crimson Pearl on August 1st.
Frontenac on August 4th
Petite Pearl on August 7th.
Verona on August 9th.

Everything is roughly 1 week earlier than last year.

Back