WineXpert W/E kits vs FW kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How do wine eXpert kits compare to FW kits? LP has a good deal on a couple of limited edition kits right now. Thinking about pulling the trigger on them. I’ve made a couple of FW kits, and am very pleased with them. It seems, a lot of WE kits do well in competition.

IME the WE Limited Edition kits are over priced and under valued. They are unique, but the quality vs. cost is not justified. This is true of the similar type kits from other vendors.

IMO the FWK Forte kits are a better value. However, their price has been creeping up so their better value may not last.

Right now LP is offering a California Zinfandel/syrah for about $75.00, and a Chardonnay/Riesling, for about $60.00. Are they worth it, or am I better off sticking with FW kits? I know the WE are usually pretty pricey.

How do wine eXpert kits compare to FW kits? LP has a good deal on a couple of limited edition kits right now. Thinking about pulling the trigger on them. I’ve made a couple of FW kits, and am very pleased with them. It seems, a lot of WE kits do well in competition.
IMO, the FW kits are the best on the market and offer the most flexibility. I take the raw materials (juice, skins, seeds, etc) and guide the wine to my liking and not necessarily what the directions tell me to do. I agree with winemaker81 about the "limited edition" WE kits. I've made several WE limited edition kits, they are pretty good, but I tweak them as well. What ever the brand of kit, I can make better wine that what I can buy in the liquor stores.

Right now LP is offering a California Zinfandel/syrah for about $75.00, and a Chardonnay/Riesling, for about $60.00. Are they worth it, or am I better off sticking with FW kits? I know the WE are usually pretty pricey.
Those are the Classic line of kits. IMO they are a bit lower in quality than the FWK Tavola line, but will make a decent wine. With corks, capsules and anything else you need, you're looking at $2.25 to $3.00 USD per bottle. Good wine to drink while other batches are aging.

Back