What are you making and what have you made ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you make a yeast starter or just sprinkle a packet of yeast on the must?

Either way, the answer is yes, it's very possible. One packet of yeast is recommended for 5 to 6 gallons of must. Using that much in 2 gallons means that the yeast had a head start (even if you didn't create a starter first) so that it jump starts the population expansion phase for the yeast. That means they got to the alcohol creation even faster.

Plus, EC-1118 is an overachiever anyway, and you had a really yummy environment for it to do its thing.

You should be fine!
I did make a yeast starter with about a third of a packet of EC118. Two days later the fermentation didn't "look" aggressive when I opened the fermenter and I stirred the must so I did sprinkle in an additional pinch of the EC118. I did leave the cover loose for the first two days then sealed the fermenter. The air lock never bubbled and by 3.5 days the wine was still. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with a 12.5% fermentation after 3.5 days! :) I'm still going to let this batch sit in glass with airlock for 2-3 weeks and take measurements again. The smell was good and the lees and sediment were heavy in the fermenter so apparently it was a successful ferment.
Thanks for the feedback.

Just started a Moscato from juice.
Also have 3 gallons of Skeeter Pee aging on nothing, Toasted Oak, and Juniper respectively.

Am picking late season homegrown raspberries and wild black cherries to try to make 1) Framboise (raspberry table wine with French Black Raspberry liqueur using RC212/71B yeast combo (Chambord) 2) Black Iris Framboise (wild blackberries, wild black cherries (pitted) raspberrries and dried elderberies as table wine using RC212/71B yeast combo and 3) same wine as a port using RC212/71B and EC1118 yeasts. The blackberries aren't ready yet but the wild cherries and raspberries are dead ripe.. I'll add Chambord to each of the 3 batches. I'll try to make at least a 15 bottle carboy of each and hopefully 25 each of the 2 table wines.

I've just started making my third wine kit, a Master Vinter Winemaker's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. After following directions to the letter with my first two kits, I've decided to change things up.

For one, I used the included oak chips in primary fermentation versus using them for secondary fermentation as the instructions stated. I did this because I am using a French medium+ toasted oak spiral in the glass carboy during the secondary fermentation, which it currently is one week into. It seemed to me the oak chips floating on top during primary fermentation kept the fermentation less vigorous, but did reach 1.001 when racked into secondary fermentation.

I plan to rack off secondary fermentation at the 2-4 week stage, degassify, taste for oak, treat with finings and k meta, and rack back into a clean 6.5gal glass carboy with or without the oak spiral, for long-term aging (6-12 months). If continued use of the oak spiral, will taste monthly, give k meta q3 mo, and keep topped up awaiting the decision to bottle. Will bottle straight out of the long-term aging carboy.

Attachments

• PXL_20240720_183758936.jpg
    PXL_20240720_183758936.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
I've just started making my third wine kit, a Master Vinter Winemaker's Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon. After following directions to the letter with my first two kits, I've decided to change things up.

For one, I used the included oak chips in primary fermentation versus using them for secondary fermentation as the instructions stated. I did this because I am using a French medium+ toasted oak spiral in the glass carboy during the secondary fermentation, which it currently is one week into. It seemed to me the oak chips floating on top during primary fermentation kept the fermentation less vigorous, but did reach 1.001 when racked into secondary fermentation.

I plan to rack off secondary fermentation at the 2-4 week stage, degassify, taste for oak, treat with finings and k meta, and rack back into a clean 6.5gal glass carboy with or without the oak spiral, for long-term aging (6-12 months). If continued use of the oak spiral, will taste monthly, give k meta q3 mo, and keep topped up awaiting the decision to bottle. Will bottle straight out of the long-term aging carboy.

I would get rid of those brass fittings. In a high acid environment like wine, it can leach copper into the wine. You want to avoid that.

This has been a great site for learning and two way feedback! Kudos to the senior members.

I am a small batch winemaker, simply a space and old age lifting issue. Before i begin my litany, is there any source for grapes to make small batches, say 2 to 3 gallons? I'd love to try a from scratch batch this Fall.

Over the past year, I've made Merlot, Cab Sauv, Pinot Noir, Zin, Sauvy Blanc, Blueberry and Tart Cherry. A couple kits but mostly juice with added fruit/ skins. The only disappointments were the fruits, they were fizzy. I think I was just too impatient and under sorbated them before bottling.

In any event, I am now fermenting a second wild blueberry batch, small batch, 1.5 gallons. I'm using Knudsen Blueberry juice and 2.5 lbs of frozen Wyman's blueberries. The usual has been added, sugar, nutrient, lemon juice, pectic, bentonite. EC118 yeast is being used. I started the ferment on the 13th and left it with a towel cover until this morning. The ferment has been healthy and the air lock is still active this morning. I plan to move this ferment over to glass on the weekend if the activity warrants and put it on lock for a month before doing anything else. This go around i want a still wine! Will let you know how things progress. I'm pressing for a 10-12% result, had to add 2.5 cups of sugar to get the starting SG to 1.082. PH is about 3.5. All systems are go at the moment!

Talk soon!

I am a small batch winemaker, simply a space and old age lifting issue. Before i begin my litany, is there any source for grapes to make small batches, say 2 to 3 gallons? I'd love to try a from scratch batch this Fall.
Depending on where you are in the Boston area, Musto is roughly 2 hours from you:

https://www.juicegrape.com

I understand the weight issue. You might consider the All-in-One pump -- the company owner is on this forum, and he is well regarded.

. Before i begin my litany, is there any source for grapes to make small batches, say 2 to 3 gallons? I'd love to try a from scratch batch this Fall.
YES if I was in Boston I would 1) look for the local fruit distributor 2) search out the local vinters club (Winemaker.com/resources/ ) and 3) put a post up on Marketplace asking.

Grapes are available. There are folks on WMT who do group buys and grow. It is only a matter of asking enough to find them.
Good luck on the 2024 crop

Depending on where you are in the Boston area, Musto is roughly 2 hours from you:

https://www.juicegrape.com

I understand the weight issue. You might consider the All-in-One pump -- the company owner is on this forum, and he is well regarded.
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated! I did invest in the All In One right from the start. That's a must have for any home winemaker. Minimal waste, fast transfers, great device! Plus he's from the Chicago area, much like I was!

Before i begin my litany, is there any source for grapes to make small batches, say 2 to 3 gallons? I'd love to try a from scratch batch this Fall.
Dan, welcome to the forum. I am not completely familiar with Boston, but I would imagine that there are several places in the North End where you could find fresh grapes. Look for fresh produce suppliers there. To make 2 to 3 gallons, you would need about 2 lugs of grapes, assuming 18 lb. lugs.

Before i begin my litany, is there any source for grapes to make small batches, say 2 to 3 gallons? I'd love to try a from scratch batch this Fall.

Check out the food terminal, probably very common for big cities. Your local restaurants get California fruits and vegetables flown in daily. I’ve seen lugs of California grapes out on the floor of the Cleveland terminal.

Back