Wine Batches Diverging ...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winemaker81

wine dabbler
Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Joni (@Jovimaple) commented in another thread that friends' Frontenac in 1 gallon and 750 ml bottle was different. The bottle was drinkable now while the gallon is not, which spurred a conversation regarding Mom Nature, Dionysus, and how wines change. One great thing about the conversation as the evidence was right there in the glass.

I've formed the opinion that a single batch of wine may start to diverge as soon as it's put in multiple containers. It's entirely possible that all wines change in this fashion, but it's not necessarily enough that we perceive it, or just that we are not checking that closely.

Last fall I fermented Vidal on the skins, and later moved it into two 12 liter carboys and one 4 liter jug. Both dropped a lot of acid crystals, and I later cold stabilized one carboy (using 4 liter jugs in the fridge) for a month or so. I was surprised that the cold stabilization did not make any difference -- no additional crystals, and only a trace of sediment.

The cold stabilized wine was bottle in March, and required 3/4 cup sugar in 12 liters to balance the acid. Last month I bottled the remainder, initially adding 1 cup sugar into 16 liters (same ratio as carboy 1). It's essentially the same wine as the first carboy, as the cold stabilization made no difference in the acid dropped.

Nope -- it was still acidic and I added another 1/4 cup sugar. That's not much difference (1 Tbsp sugar in 4 liters), but noticeable.

So ... my first thought was the cold stabilization made a difference even if I didn't see it. My second thought is that the three containers dropped acid crystals at slightly differing rates, and the cold stabilization made no difference.

It's all conjecture, and at this point it doesn't matter as both batches taste alike and I'm happy with them. But it illustrates the idea of batches diverging, something to keep in mind.

If you think about it, all wine goes through a myriad of chemical changes between picking the grapes and drinking the wine. If you bulk it all together it experiences the same conditions. Divide it and maybe one has 1% more oxygen in it, is two degrees cooler, a little more sediment was transferred… or you held your tongue differently when you racked! A couple insignificant (to us) differences and a year later you have two different wines!

It’s the butterfly effect in action.

This evening I encountered a similar issue - I made a 6 gallon raspberry iced tea wine cooler kit and split it into two 3 gallon carboys.

One of the carboys was done and I bottled it tonight. However, I had noticed the other one was bubbling up until a couple of weeks ago. I was worried that the potassium sorbate hadn't distributed evenly before I split the batch in two, and that fermentation restarted in the 2nd carboy from the flavor pack. So Hubby and I sampled the first carboy (yum!) and then the second ... and it appears I was right. It's definitely higher alcohol and dryer!

I dosed it with more sorbate and kmeta. I almost blended the two carboys back together but had visions of bottle bombs and decided my best bet is to watch it for a while, then bench test and backsweeten a bit. Since I did end up bottling one carboy, I do have enough to share with some friends I am seeing this week, even if I have to warn them that they probably should wait a month to get over bottle shock.

Back