Wine Conditioner Sorbate levels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktownwino

Junior
Reaction score
I do not normally back sweeten but a batch of blackberry wine I am working on seems to require it. I figured this go around I would try using wine conditioner (never used it, sounds,interesting). The bottle states that there is
k-sorbate mixed in with the sugar, however, it does not say how much sorbate is present. does anyone by chance know how much sorbate is in the Global vintners wine conditioner? I want to make sure there is enough to prevent refermentation in bottle.

thanks for the help.

There should be enough to prevent fermentation. But to be honest, that stuff adds an after taste to your wine that I surely did not like.

In the past, wine conditioner contained enough sorbate to prevent the conditioner from fermenting, not enough to prevent the conditioner from fermenting when added to a wine UNLESS sufficient conditioner was added. (Long winded, hope you understood that.) In Canada, RJ Spagnols produced a fact sheet on their conditioner that included the following statement

[FONT=Eras Medium ITC, Century Gothic, sans-serif]You need to add [/FONT][FONT=Eras Medium ITC, Century Gothic, sans-serif]at least[/FONT][FONT=Eras Medium ITC, Century Gothic, sans-serif] 345 ml (approx. 1 1/3 cup) of wine conditioner per 23 litres of wine. This is equal to 15 ml per litre of wine. If you wish to add [/FONT][FONT=Eras Medium ITC, Century Gothic, sans-serif]less[/FONT][FONT=Eras Medium ITC, Century Gothic, sans-serif] than this amount, you must also add 2 tsp. potassium sorbate to prevent refermentation.[/FONT]

Sorry, I have no idea about the current Global Vintners conditioner. Try contacting the Winexpert Help Line.

Steve

Thank you for the information, I will have to run a small trial and see how things taste.

Latest posts

Back