Would you use this fruit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning,

I'm waiting for some Malbec to ripen at a vineyard I'm working with. I was sent these numbers on October 14 from two areas of the vineyard:

I received a phone call yesterday asking me to come get the grapes on Saturday, October 19. I'm inclined to pass as I don't think the pH is at a level I want to make wine with. I'd prefer the Brix to be in the 24 range minimally but 22 is a concession.

My contract states that I'll be able to get professional quality grapes and the price per ton is $3200. I don't consider these grapes ripe enough. Am I wrong?

Looking for your opinion.

Good morning,

I'm waiting for some Malbec to ripen at a vineyard I'm working with. I was sent these numbers on October 14 from two areas of the vineyard:

I received a phone call yesterday asking me to come get the grapes on Saturday, October 19. I'm inclined to pass as I don't think the pH is at a level I want to make wine with. I'd prefer the Brix to be in the 24 range minimally but 22 is a concession.

My contract states that I'll be able to get professional quality grapes and the price per ton is $3200. I don't consider these grapes ripe enough. Am I wrong?

Looking for your opinion.

I made 6G of Malbec years ago and it was ~24brix andpH of 3.8 IIRC. Turned out fantastic. It came from Lodi grapes however. I just saw that SOH cellars in WW are waiting for the weather to clear on some of their late harvesting red varietals. Giving them more hang time. They did not seem too worried about the rain.

Back