Yeasts. Pick one.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not saying Google is always correct but this is what they say. Just another point of view.

The Lalvin Bourgovin RC212 wine yeast has an alcohol tolerance of up to 16%.

I obviously wasn't quite as clear as I thought I was. ;)

Let's assume you have a higher ABV batch. It doesn't need to be super high, e.g., a projected 16% ABV is high is you're using RC-212, which maxes at 14%.

B#1 gets EC-1118. B#2 gets RC-212.

The expectation is that RC-212 will quit around 14%, and when the B#2 ferment stops, inoculate with a fresh EC-1118 starter and let the ferment complete.

One description for RC-212 reads: Ideal for full bodied red wines. Emphasizes fruit and spice notes, accentuates character in red grapes.

B#2 will have gone 90% of the way through fermentation with RC-212. Other than eliminating the remaining sugar, the expectation is EC-1118 will have a minor effect, if any, on the resulting wine -- the characteristics emphasized by RC-212 will be predominant.

My expectation is driven by both research and practical experience: Last fall I used Renaissance Avante and Bravo in red grapes, and the wines are distinctly different.
I would do a simpler test. Mix up two or three identical batches and add a different yeast to each batch. Continue your processes to bottling, do a taste test. I did that once, and there was a difference. It was too non-de script for my taste.

The ferment made it down to 1.002 ... which is well below what I expected from RC-212, as I was expecting it to quit around 1.010. After a few days, I decided the ferment was as far as RC-212 would take it, and inoculated with an overnight starter of EC-1118. From there it finished at 0.995.
I understand that when yeast struggles it produces off flavor and odors. By allowing the 212 to go until it stops before dropping the 1118 wouldn't you be risking that?

I understand that when yeast struggles it produces off flavor and odors. By allowing the 212 to go until it stops before dropping the 1118 wouldn't you be risking that?
When yeast is lacking in nutrients, most strains will struggle and produce H2S as a result.

The situation I'm talking about is where the year produces enough alcohol to poison its own environment, so it's essentially killing itself off. It's a totally different situation.

Back