101-14 Rootstock Phylloxera Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmoor05

Junior
Reaction score
I planted a small vineyard in my backyard this spring and probably went a little aggressive, but I like Sweet Riesling Wine, so tried 10 Riesling vines on 101-14 rootstock from Double A Vineyards. I also got 10 concords, 2 Jupiter, 2 Marquis, and 2 Reliance vines. Between the deer and the Japanese beetles it's been a rough start. I've finally got the fence up and am doing rounds twice a day for the JB but today I noticed what I think is Phylloxera on one of the Riesling vines. The wild grapes in my yard are covered with it so I know it's around, but I guess I was hoping the rootstock would prevent the infection altogether on them. The other 9 don't have any signs of infection currently. Any ideas if it might not be 101-14 or if it's something I can treat? Any input is greatly appreciated. The concord seem to be doing pretty well.

For reference I'm in Central KY just northeast of Louisville.

IMG_2903.jpgIMG_2874.jpg

I planted a small vineyard in my backyard this spring and probably went a little aggressive, but I like Sweet Riesling Wine, so tried 10 Riesling vines on 101-14 rootstock from Double A Vineyards. I also got 10 concords, 2 Jupiter, 2 Marquis, and 2 Reliance vines. Between the deer and the Japanese beetles it's been a rough start. I've finally got the fence up and am doing rounds twice a day for the JB but today I noticed what I think is Phylloxera on one of the Riesling vines. The wild grapes in my yard are covered with it so I know it's around, but I guess I was hoping the rootstock would prevent the infection altogether on them. The other 9 don't have any signs of infection currently. Any ideas if it might not be 101-14 or if it's something I can treat? Any input is greatly appreciated. The concord seem to be doing pretty well.

For reference I'm in Central KY just northeast of Louisville.

View attachment 103777View attachment 103778
I'm sorry for those condition..can i asking you about Jupiter?i really want to know more Jupiter.. I'm Indonesian, willing to know Jupiter variety. Thankyou 😊

Back