A Tool for Putting Labels on Bottles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcb54

Reaction score
Here is a tool that I built to help put the labels on bottles straight. It keeps the bottle steady and you can see if they are straight by lining up the sides or the bottom.

I read about this in a wine magazine and built it from their diagram and description with a couple modifications.

All my labels go on straight using this jig.

20080120_131510_LABEL_JIG_01.JPG

20080120_131626_LABEL_JIG_02.JPG

You didn't need to build that gadget. Just drink afew glasses of your wine as you bottle it so the labels all look straight no matter how crooked they are. You never notice the crooked ones as long as you properly sample your wine all the time. hiccupp.....

Really though. I saw that in WineMaker Magazine and it really is a very good idea.

I like that too....I sure need some help in that department.

I tried Joan's idea of lining up the edge of the label on the seam of the bottle...It worked fine on the Bordeaux bottles....but, any bottles with sloping sides looked really funny....worse than eye-balling it.....Edited by: Northern Winos

A friend of mine made two of them for me. They cost me less than $2.00!
smiley1.gif

Maybe its just me, but couldn't you still put them on crooked using that gadget?

I agree with that statement, i personally dont see how this helps besides holding the bottle better but hey, if it helps you, so be it!

Wade, I figured out where I wanted my labels, measured from the bottom of a bottle, marked that on the long sides of the holder, and wrapped some of that rubbery shelf liner stuff at that line so when I put my labels on, they line up.

But yes, you can still have crooked labels ...especially if you've been drinking!
smiley4.gif

I have been eyeballing mine and they seem to be ok, but I would like to have one of those label levelers.

Great Gadget!!!

Ramona

"Maybe its just me, but couldn't you still put them on crooked using that gadget?"

"I agree with that statement, i personally dont see how this helps besides holding the bottle better but hey, if it helps you, so be it!"

This jig enables you to use the bottom and sides to "square up" the label, especially when a bottle is rounder and/or more curved. It definitely holds the bottle steady and that in itself makes it easier. I tried doing it in my lap for a while, but occasionally the labels would be slightly crooked.

As I said, since I made this I haven't put any labels on crooked.

JW, exactly!! I get one or 2 that are slightly crooked, but that is how my friends know I personnally labeled them!!!
smiley2.gif

Corn field, I don't think that picture was taken yesterday. I was in Corydon Saturday evening and I if I remember right the trees weren't that green.
smiley36.gif
Just funning ya. Nice looking label and wine.

I also agree that it is a nice looking label....Do you make different ones for each batch???
Just how much had you tasted before adhering that label????

I get some that crooked too.

Swill it was taken late summer early fall.
Nothern I usually make a different label for each new batch but some times I fall back to this label because it was my first one.

Latest posts

Back