Adding Flower Petals: Hibiscus

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elementic

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all, newbie winemaker here.

I'm about to start on my second batch of wine sometime hopefully next month.

I was gonna do a cherry wine, but I wanted to add some floral notes to it and I was leaning towards hibiscus. I like hibiscus tea and I really enjoy the smell all around.

When, if I should, would I add the petals to the wine. How many petals? Do I need to do any chemical alterations?
I intend on making a 5 gallon batch.

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hibiscus tea (red zinger) is normally made from Roselle hibiscus and from the calyx. I’ve made plumeria flower wine and used 85 flowers per gallon (smaller flower than hibiscus)
Hibiscus sinensis (tropical hibiscus) 🌺 can be used for tea but I don’t think it has any fragrance, I don’t know what it will add to a wine flavor. I’d be interested to hear.

So probably about 50 or so flowers per gallon

welcome to WMT

You are asking a taste question, the answer of what will you get is to taste the ingredient. ,,, I will taste apple peel or peach peel to ask if it is good or gives off notes.
Cherry is a strong flavor. I wouldn’t expect a lot of floral note to come through. If I am making a cherry pie/ tart/ pudding I will sometimes add almond extract. In your wine I would wait till finished and the do a flavor trial with low levels as one drop per bottle. (2ml on a carboy basis)
To your when question, if adding flowers I have done dandelion or red bud using them in the primary. As a flavoring agent a neat process is to extract them 1:1 in grain alcohol for a few months > filter > do a bench trial with several levels. (ie like almond extract)

Last edited:
I've made a fair amount of Cherry wines and Hibiscus Flower wines, but have never blended them. I usually blend when there is some kind of problem that I want to fix, and then it is after the batches are completed. When I start out knowing that I will blend, I make each wine, and basically finish it, along with back sweetening. Then I blend based on taste, etc. That way I know what the finished product will taste like. Tasting the different combinations makes for a fun party activity. I'm currently blending Wild Grape & Red Tomato, it will be around 3 to 2 and 4 to 1.

With flower wines, Hibiscus & Wild Rose Petal, I will often lace some of the bottles with Dill sprigs, marvelous change! You could easily use other herbs.

I have made Cherry wine, but not Hibiscus. As @Rice_Guy said, taste the ingredients. Make some Hibiscus tea and blend it with some cherry juice. Do you like the flavor? Cherry is a fairly strong flavor, so I'm not sure what Hibiscus would add.

If you want to add flavor notes to your cherry wine, what goes well with Cherry? You can find ideas on cooking sites like this: https://chefradar.com/which-herbs-and-spices-pair-well-with-cherries/

When I made cherry spice mead, I added a bit of cloves, star anise, and ginger . Of course you could always go with cherry + chocolate, but wine making with chocolate can be tricky, so I suggest that you let that wait until you've had more experience.

Latest posts

Back