adding skin packs to a grape wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curious if anyone has experience with this grape skin pack product. I have been starting with fresh juice pails and the wines were ok but lacked body. Looking to get more tannin as well. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Grape Skin Pack.png
    Grape Skin Pack.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Curious if anyone has experience with this grape skin pack product. I have been starting with fresh juice pails and the wines were ok but lacked body. Looking to get more tannin as well. Any suggestions?
This is the first I've seen of this product. I have experience with other brands of skin packs, so I expect it will work.

Additionally you can add oak shreds or chips during fermentation, which act as "sacrificial oak", protecting the natural grape tannin, preserving color, and improving body.

Aging oak will help as well.

I have been starting with fresh juice pails and the wines were ok but lacked body. Looking to get more tannin as well. Any suggestions?

A really cost effective fix is to separate your juice bucket into 2 buckets and put a different yeast into each one. When the SG gets to about 1.020, the yeasts have defined the flavor, whatever else you do is not going to affect the flavor anymore (for example... finishing it off with EC1118). After combing the buckets back together (here is where I pitch the malolactic bacteria) the wine will taste better than either of the two by themselves.

My wines used to be what I called “singular”, that is they either had an upfront flavor but no finish, or a mid palate, but nothing else. When I use dual yeasts, I tend to get an upfront flavor, followed by a mid-palate, and sometimes even a finishing flavor. I’m still evaluating how to execute this, as I believe each grape varietal will behave differently with the available yeasts to try. I also split the buckets 50/50, but if I was a large producer, I would blend the two yeasts back at bottling at whatever ratio made the most sense. I don’t have the infrastructure to do that so I make an executive decision to make life easy and stick with 50/50.

Giving credit to @joeswine for that tweak a few years ago.

Latest posts

Back