Airlock lid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
I sure hope this question is not as dumb as it sounds to me, but I have searched quite a bit and cannot find a specific answer.

I'm not positive yet if my airlocks at home are the same but the ones I saw today at The store had small tiny holes around the edge of the little plastic lid that goes on top of the airlock. I had always assumed that the little plastic lid was for storage and helping to keep the airlock clean while storing. Because I didn't notice the little holes, I couldn't imagine you would put the lid on well actually using the airlock because it wouldn't let the gas escape.

But now that I see these tiny holes, I'm wondering, am I supposed to be using these little lives while the air locks are working?

I've always used caps on my air locks. As you suggest, the holes allow the gases to escape. The cap keeps dirt out of the air lock, and may reduce evaporation.

Steve

I sure hope this question is not as dumb as it sounds to me, but I have searched quite a bit and cannot find a specific answer.

It's not a dumb question. You can't find an answer, because they don't come with instructions. I thought the same thing 1st time I used them. They looked like a shipping cap to me.

If yours doesn't have any holes, you can easily make a few with the pointed end of a thermometer....yep...I've done it...lol

If yours doesn't have any holes, you can easily make a few with the pointed end of a thermometer....yep...I've done it...lol
What thermometer do you have? Must be one of those with a long probe (used to call them a dial thermometer). My wine making thermometers are the floating kind and are rounded at both ends.

Steve

It took me years to get to this point but I rarely put them on anymore (my bad). The caps do allow the gas escape and could assist in less evaporation. The main purpose is to keep fruit flies out.

If you have a dirty environment you might get fruit flies. I never have them in my cellar.

:) half truth above

Fruit flies. Now that makes a lot of sense. Also, probably does help with evaporation. I'll see if I can find those little buggers and start using them now.

I think you have the airlock design that must be used with a little water

The holes let the carbon dioxide gas escape - air doesn't get back if if you have the airlock design where you put a little water in the airlock - when carbon dioxide is forced out it has to pass through the water in the airlock. Yeah it attracted some fruit flies a while ago - they all got trapped in the water - so no problem - they didn't pass the water in the airlock and didn't get into the wine.

This page shows he type of airlocks I have - they all should have little holes in the caps. It allows the gas to escape and prevents large pieces of dirt and insects from coming in.

http://edenhills.wordpress.com/tag/wine/page/4/

Last edited:

I'm not positive yet if my airlocks at home are the same but the ones I saw today at The store had small tiny holes around the edge of the little plastic lid that goes on top of the airlock. I had always assumed that the little plastic lid was for storage and helping to keep the airlock clean while storing. Because I didn't notice the little holes, I couldn't imagine you would put the lid on well actually using the airlock because it wouldn't let the gas escape.

But now that I see these tiny holes, I'm wondering, am I supposed to be using these little lives while the air locks are working?

If I under stand your question correctly I think you have [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZq0UT_wKB0"]3 piece airlocks [/ame]and are missing a piece.

Back