Cellar Craft Amarone!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to be clear, IMO all 3 of those kits are excellent!

CC Showcase Amarone
RJS Winery series Amarone
En Primeur Amarone

I'm thinking of getting the MM Renaissance Impressions Amarone with raisins and their AllGrape Pack. I'd be willing to bet it's right up there for less money.

I have made the Impressions and will tell you that at 1 year, it isn't in the same league as Showcase. It is thin and rather uninspired. I won't ever make it again. In fact, I prefer vinifera noble. Just one opinion. YMMV.

We had a 3yr old CC Showcase Amarone yesterday with our Lasagna, what a perfect pair! Still have 22 bottles left, really rationing this one. Hope to have a lot left at 5 yrs & keep a few to 10 yrs!! Roy

I have made the Impressions and will tell you that at 1 year, it isn't in the same league as Showcase. It is thin and rather uninspired. I won't ever make it again. In fact, I prefer vinifera noble. Just one opinion. YMMV.

I didn't expect it would be the best, but my experience with the Renaissance Impressions Barolo has been very good so far. It winds up thin even with a grape pack and raisins? That's just sad.

Let me clarify this. I used grapes only but not raisins according to the instructions. The previous year I made the Renaissance with raisins only. The renaissance with raisins is now 2 years old and still not impressive. I hope that this line might just be late blooming. Certainly won't help the body but maybe some of the harshness might settle.

Glad to hear the Barolo is good. I have only done the Amarone from this line. Guess I will wait another year to see what happens. In the meantime, I'll move on to something else.

Tommasi

NOW THAT IS A CLASS ACT TO FOLLOW ONE OF THE BEST AT IT'S PRICE RANGE OR ANY OTHER,NICE. :mny

Let me clarify this. I used grapes only but not raisins according to the instructions. The previous year I made the Renaissance with raisins only. The renaissance with raisins is now 2 years old and still not impressive.

Yeah, I think those instructions are pathetic. The first Renaissance Impressions Barolo I did I used the raisins only, and used the grape pack for a Renaissance Brunello. The second Renaissance Impressions Barolo I did I used the raisins and the grape pack. The difference isn't huge, but I like the body and aroma of the second one better. It's too bad that the MM folks do instructions like that... many people are turned away from MM by that alone.

We had a 3yr old CC Showcase Amarone yesterday with our Lasagna, what a perfect pair! Still have 22 bottles left, really rationing this one. Hope to have a lot left at 5 yrs & keep a few to 10 yrs!! Roy

You are my hero. Having 22 bottles of this wine at 3 years is a testament to your patience. I congratulate you on your iron will. I only wish I had even a few bottles left.

If the WS Amarone is as good as the more expensive CC Showcase, I will definitely keep that in mind. Are both so close in quality?

The Winery Series Amarone is very good, albeit unique. Yes, the quality is very high. The difference is the blend of grapes. I've never tasted another Amarone like it.

I made the Renaissance Impressions Amarone with raisins and like roger80465 I am less than impressed with it especially compared to the Winexpert and Cellar Craft Amarones. It was my first Amarone and at 2.5 years old I don't know if it will get better.
Geronimo, you caught me with the word unique. I am all about unique in my wines. I definitely have to put the Winery Series Amarone on my to get list now. :b

I made the Renaissance Impressions Amarone with raisins and like roger80465 I am less than impressed with it especially compared to the Winexpert and Cellar Craft Amarones.

Bummer! I just ordered one yesterday. I'll use the raisins and the grape pack. Maybe that will help?

I tried that, Geronimo, and it did not help. I am not high on MM red kits particularly when compared with CC Showcase and RJS Winery Series.

Bummer! I ordered 2 Megs (Amarone and Barolo) and have 2 RI Barolos bulk aging. Then I ordered the RI Amarone. Hopefully they are at least decent.

Bummer! I ordered 2 Megs (Amarone and Barolo) and have 2 RI Barolos bulk aging. Then I ordered the RI Amarone. Hopefully they are at least decent.
Don't compare the MMMEGILIOLI to the other MM lines. Megs are more juice and supposed to be better quality. Megs take 2 to 3 years to be approachable but get excellent and last years. MM is a company I love to hate.

If it was my kit, I would plan to add post ferment tannins and use the oak in primary. Then make my own oak additions . I think that would help immensely. Or some time in a barrel. I think it can be decent but not without help. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress

I have to agree with Roger. This kit (Rennaisance Amarone) was made within the first 6 months I made wine. I also made the RJS Cru Select Brunello and WE California Trinity Red at the same time. They were all made without any tweaks. They all had similar things in common: lack of oak, a sweetness that lasted for a long time and really thin. In the case of the amarone there also was a tartness making a strange sweet tart wine. The sweet-tart went away at about two years and now is thin and lacks big flavor. The winemaker in me says I can go back add post ferm. tannins and run through the Vadai for 4 to 6 months and I could eliminate the flaws and make a much better wine. The competitor in me will probably try. lol

Don't compare the MMMEGILIOLI to the other MM lines. Megs are more juice and supposed to be better quality. Megs take 2 to 3 years to be approachable but get excellent and last years. MM is a company I love to hate.

What about the All Juice Masters Series?

I too have been curious about the All Juice Masters line. 23L + grape pack

Seems luck it would be good. Can't find too many comments on it though. Not sure if it has been around long enough for anyone to have aged it very long.

Amarone the big italian red

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE KITS IS THE BALANCE OF CONCENTRATES TO VARIETALS,ALSO THE ADDITION OF A GRAPE PACK OR NOT WITH OR WITHOUT RAISINS,AND WERE OR WHEN TO ADD THEM.

ALL JUICE CATEGORY IS USUALLY ON THE THIN SIDE NOT ENOUGH MUST TO DO A WHOLE LOT OF REAL GOOD ,THEN THEY ADD CONCENTRATES TO BOOST UP THE FLAVOR END AND THAT'S A GOOD THING.THE ADDITIONS OF A RASINIED PRODUCT IS SHEER AMARONE TRADITION,GRAPES ARE LAD OUT ON STRAW MATS AND LEFT TO DRY FOR UP TO 5 MONTHS.

THAT'S HOW IT GOES IN THE REAL WINE WORLD BUT WE FALL SHORT AND HAVE TO ADJUST AND AMEND TO TRY AND GET TO WERE THEY WERE NATURALLY,SO WE, CONTEND WITH THIN BODY AND NOT SUCH A GREAT OUT COME ,BUT IF YOU LOOK AT IT AS I DO ITS; A SAUCE(THE WINE) WHERE AND WHAT AS WELL AS WHEN YOU ADD TO IT DEPENDS ON YOUR WINE MAKING OUT LOOK I. HAVE STATED MANY A TIME YOU CAN MAKE A INEXPENSIVE KIT BETTER AND A GOOD KIT GREAT, BUT YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND THE TIMING AND THE OUTCOME WHEN YOU "THINK OUT SIDE THE BOX".

WHAT SAY YOU?:wy

Back