An Idea that mite keep you out of trouble.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

Reaction score
I ferment my primaries upstairs in the mud room this time of year. I have also had the primary go over the top once or twice. The last couple of wines I have done, I have been taking a large garbage bag, setting the primary bucket in it and kinda letting the bag settle down around the outside of the bucket. If the wine goes over the top, gonna catch it in the bag instead of getting on swmbo's floor. The ones that went over were light wines or S.P. no big deal. The last few have been elderberry and dont want to stain the floor with that. Arne.

Those giant party buckets would also work well. And if the entire primary leaked it would hold all of it. Not as cheap but just another idea.
I've been thinking of getting an oil drip pan to put under my areas so when bottling or whatever it's easy to clean and could contain a bottle's worth being spilled.

....or you can divide your primary bucket in two equal amounts leaving alot of room for your must to rise.

I have found over the years that often stirring will help to prevent flow-over.

Release the CO2 into the air leaving less to foam over if you only stir once or twice daily. I stir mine many times. The first stir if in 1 bucket needs to be a short one just in case.

After several days when your must has settled down a bit you can combine the two primaries. I do this when I remove my fruit.

You are one smart husband.

Well Dan, it has taken her 40 plus years but she has me a little bit housebroke. I have used the 2 bucket method and very sucessfully, but the other day when I started the elderberry I got some of the juice on my stirring stick and it dyed the stick purple. Thought about it a little and all I had around home here was the garbage bag to catch the mess. Elderberry got done with no mess, but the bag is good for the next time. Got to looking at the stirring stick the other day and thought that is a really neat purple color. Decided to make a batch of arrows and dye em purple. Guess I waited too long, tried dying a arrow shaft this morning and it wouldn't take. One of my friends has some elderberries in his freezer yet. Think I'm gonna see if I can steal a handful or so and make some fresh dye. Arne.

Red wine, Red arrow and Red meat, I like it! I hope the deer does.

red_arrow.jpg
deer.jpg

Plastic storage tub with handles for all of my primary's ... been down the road of "what is that stain from" before...

Here is another one. I usually keep a dish towel on the primary, then set the bucket lid on top. My elderberry S.P. and I let the towel sag in the middle. At least it did not siphon the sp out of the bucket, but did stain the towel pepto bismal pink. This did not have much color in it til I put a couple cups of pie cherry juice in it, then turned pink. The towels are white so being quick thinking like I am, went to the mud room sink, put some COLD water in it with some oxyclean. Threw the towel in it and the pink turned a really neat blue green. Got up this morning and the towel is back to white. Out of trouble again til the next time. By the way Dan, got a couple handfuls of elderberries, put a little water in with em and simmered for a while. Strained off the juice and it made a wonderful reddish brown stain for the wood arrows. Now to seal em, fletch em and use em for turkey season. Fresh wild turkey and skeeter pee. Whatta combination. Arne.

Last edited:
I picked up a cement mixing tub at Home Depot. It works great to prevent spillage getting on the floor.

Took one of the arrow shafts outside today. Do not look for a redish brown stain, in the sunlight it was Kansas State purple. Under the floresents in the mud room has a much different color. Arne.

Good idea. Something like this would work well too. You can find them at farm supply stores.
VC116551.jpg

Link to hog pan

I do something similar when bottling. I put my bottles in a cake pan as they are filling. If I get a little slow and pull the bottling wand up too late, the excess goes into the pan, not on the floor. The pan easily holds several empties, so I just keep adding fresh bottles to the pan as I take the full ones out. Spills in a clean pan are good nourishment for a hard working bottler.

Back