Anyone ever make a bolder, oaked rosé?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthocyanin

Reaction score
I currently have just about 4 gallons of Tempranillo rosé undergoing primary, from grapes harvested the same day as my tempranillo red that is also fermenting now, just from a slightly less ripe row on the vineyard. The red was a bit over 25 brix and the rosé not much under - I did do a water+acid down to ~23.5 brix to start and was planning on tasting it once fermented to see how much I should continue diluting it down for a traditional rosé, but then I started thinking - since I'll have to store it in 3+1 gallon carboys anyway, could be interesting to split the batch and do one in more of the traditional rosé style and the other as a "bold" rosé, aging on some oak and maybe even blending in a small portion of the Tempranillo red. Has anyone ever tried making a batch like this? How did it turn out?

I have not done anything like you're suggesting.

As an observer looking at your idea, it seems like a low risk experiment. You're risking a gallon or so of wine, and if it doesn't work out well, you have 5 bottles of cooking wine.

Also consider that I typically make 50-75 US gallons of wine each year, so risking 5 gallons of wine on an experiment is acceptable to me. POV does matter.

Back